Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HMoegerle  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 12:49:45 PM(UTC)
HMoegerle

Groups: Registered

We purchased an Imperial Heavy Duty Commercial Freezer, Model 134A at a Garage Sale.

Until recently, the Freezer has worked well. Recently, the Freezer has not had its "whooshing" sound when the door closed. Then we noticed that meat in the lower areas were not frozen solid. The thermometer at eye level registered 20 degrees or so. The top shelf was heavily frosted. We defrosted the freezer.

The freezer seemed to be doing well. Ice cream was not "hard" but our meat was solid

This morning (97 degrees outdoors) the freezer (in the garage) had a dripping mess on the floor, tinged with blood from meat.:mad:

I emptied the freezer, and noticed that the bottom gasket was not in place.
After cleaning the freezer and gasket, I loosened the screws on the bottom the door, inserted the gasket and retightened the screws. I cleaned the gasket, too.:cool:

I closed the door and still no "whooshing" sound. I locked the freezer to help tighten the door/gasket connection.

The temperature has dropped steadily over the past hour and temp is now 45 degrees. The compressor is running. It is HOT to the touch...but it IS
80+ degrees in the garage (since I had to open the door when I flushed the floor mess out.):eek:

My plan is to check the temperature overnight to see if it goes down to zero.

Is the compressor going out on the freezer? Should the entire gasket be replaced...since there is no "whoosh" when the door is closed?:rolleyes:

Thank you for your help!

Heidi
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dean Haustead  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:44:23 PM(UTC)
Dean Haustead

You noticed that a bottle of juice you put in the fridge last night wasn't cold. The temperature control for the freezer said -10 (should be 0) and the fridge said 57 (should be 37). You tried to reset the controls, to no avail. I unplugged it, vacuumed off the back (although there wasn't much to vacuum) and plugged it in again. It's only getting warmer. Any ideas? You remember exactly when you bought the fridge, but you believe it's less than 10 years old.
cbmserviceguy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:40:41 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

If there is a moderator on these forums, they really need to delete Dean whom I'm pretty sure has no clue what post they even responding to, let alone what planet they are on.

Anyways, I am not familiar with imperial freezers, so not sure how much help I can be. Does this one cool via the shelving, or does it have evaporator coils behind a panel in the back of the freezer compartment? If it does have a hidden coil, is there a fan back there not running? It sounds as though your thermal overload may have tripped out and shut down the compressor for a period of time. It being hot is nothing to be concerned about as long as it is running and cooling. Having to drop temp from that warm to 0 will cause it to run for quite a long time and get very hot. The question is, does it run more than it needs to due to a bad fan or freon leak and thus cause it to overload?
Dean Haustead  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 5:27:35 AM(UTC)
Dean Haustead

I think you can go to the shop where you buy this freezer.:)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply