Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
josh1335  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:49:33 AM(UTC)
josh1335

Groups: Registered

I have an GE side by side Model ESS22XGMBCC that suddenly stopped working. It was inoperative at a full day.The lights work and the freezer fan came on after the door was open for about 5 minutes but sounded like it was struggling. I checked the compressor and it was room temp so it had not been running in a while. I unplugged the power and left it off for an hour. I plugged it back in a in a few minutes it started running again. I checked the temp of the freezer and it was -20 F and so I the compressor is most likely ok. It was suggested that it may be a defrost timer but the part does not seem to exist. Can you provide any direction?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:10:27 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Most likely bad solder joints in the back of the motherboard in the back of the refrigerator. You can get one here AP4436216
josh1335  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:40:18 PM(UTC)
josh1335

Thanks for the quick reply. Now an update. the condenser fan was running but the compressor was not. It had worked I believe until the mid-morning because this evening the freezer coil was nearly frost free and the refrigerator was about 40 degrees. So it appears I got about 12 hours or so of operation. I looked at the diagram for my model but couldnt find a defrost timer. Found the defrost thermostat and the heater, etc. If you have the following information I could help me solve this without have to throw dollars at it in hopes of getting lucky.
1- Is there a standard defrost cycle?
2- If the compressor has internal protection, will it only reset when power is removed? (based on the fact the condenser fan was running without the compressor running)
3- If the run capacitor is bad (I think it is the rectangular box with 2 wires screwed down beside the compressor) would it (a) allow the condenser fan to come on and (b) is there a way to test it?

Again, thanks for all the help and fast reply. You guys are awesome!
josh1335  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:57:11 PM(UTC)
josh1335

Quick update. One your recommendation, I took off the circuit board and on the back of the board, one of the relay solder joints looked bad and there was evidence of arcing. I re-soldered the joint and put it back and the fridge is running again. Hope that takes care of it. I do have a question though. Is that evidence that another component may be bad? Not sure what would cause this to happen after 10 years. Just trying to cover all the bases. At the moment it is a wait and see.
Thanks so much for your help!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:44:17 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
When they wave soldered your board the temerature was not hot enough and the solder joints where ony parially soldered A power surge blew one open. Best to re-solder each power relay pin and put a 1000 joule surge protector in the wall outlet.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply