Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
topperdude  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:30:30 AM(UTC)
topperdude

Groups: Registered

Hi,

We have an Amana refrigerator (model AFB2534FES). If its relevant, we did not install the ice maker or the water dispenser when we purchased it.

Couple days back, the refrigerator section stopped working even though the freezer seems to be working fine. We tried the steps outlined in the troubleshooting section of the Owner's Manual ):
1. Cleaned the condenser coils at the bottom
2. Cleaned condenser Fan Outlet Grille on the back bottom of the refrigerator
3. As far as I can tell, the door seals are fine - I cannot feel any cold air coming out and also used the dollar bill method at various locations between the two doors to ensure the doors are closing properly. Left doors closed overnight but no difference in refrigerature temperature.
4. Removed the crisper drawers and did not notice anything obvious in the refrigerator that might be blocking the rear air grilles. There was, however, little or no air blowing through these (my wife felt there was no air and I felt there might have been some little air coming through these). Could these have been clogged with ice (on the side that is not visible in the refrigerator section) and be the cause of the problem? How can we confirm that?

Other info that may help:
a) We can hear a fan blowing (almost constantly) and the compressor seems to come on as well (atleast thats what I think makes the "humming sound" every so often).

b) While we did turn off the refrigerator for few minutes (maybe 15-20 minutes max) while cleaning the dust from the condensor coils at the bottom of the refrigerator, we did not leave it unplugged or empty the freezer since there's a lot of frozen food packed in the freezer that we were afraid would go bad (already all our coolers are packed with stuff from the refrigerator LOL ).

Anyway, would appreciate any input on how to fix this, maybe a short list possible causes and of things to help narrow down the exact cause.

Is there any way to troubleshoot/fix without emptying the freezer?

Thanks in advance for your time and any input you can provide.

-Topper
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.