Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
van1  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 8:55:49 AM(UTC)
van1

Groups: Registered

After power outage unit won't cool. I can hear a relay clicking and the fan near the compressor and condenser running. Compressor not running. The lights are on in both fridge and freezer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 11:30:33 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Cool down the compressor, remove the start devise (relay and overload) and shake it. If it rattles - replace it.
First check the compressor contacts for the continuity.
Using the multimeter set to 100 ohm check the continuity between 3 prongs of the compressor. You should read the resistance.
Than put one probe on the prong and another one to any copper tube. If there is no continuity - the compressor is good electrically.

Replace the starting components.

Chose which one looks like yours Part number: 8201786
Part number: 8201786

Or this one Part number: 4387835
Part number: 4387835

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.
Sparty Nation  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:38:22 AM(UTC)
Sparty Nation

As the post above states after the power outage our fridge stopped blowing cold air. I opened it up, the compressor was hot almost too hot to touch. I used the volt meter meter and tested the ohms reading on the on the compressor and one was with in the 1-3 ohm range and the other was in the 3-11 range. I replaced both the relay and overloads. The fridge took off and began working fine. Actually got cold enough for the ice maker thermostat to allow for ice product to begin. I placed a thermometer in the freezer to check for temperature heading south and it got below 16 degrees so I called it good and closed it up and went to bad. The next morning the freezer was back up to 35 degrees. The fan in the freezer is running, the fan cooling the compressor is running, and the outside of the fridge on the side is almost to hot to touch. I am ready to purchase a fridge but figured I would take a shot in the dark and see if there any other suggestions. Unit was purchased in 1998 and is a kenmore.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:10:20 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Make sure the condenser coils are clean and back cover is in the place.Open the evaporator (in the freezer) and see how the coils are covered with the frost. If only partially, then it's the sealed system problem.
Cool down the compressor and restart it.That may help.

Check the voltage at the wall receptacle. If it's less then 108VAC - here is your problem.

Thank you.
Simon.
Sparty Nation  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:13:44 PM(UTC)
Sparty Nation

Thanks for the response. I cleaned the condensor and all the coils when I replaced the relay and overload. I opened up the freezer and the coils are wet and have water dripping off as if some of them were frozen at one point. The freezer has been at 38 degrees for 12 hours so any ice would have melted. The fridge was unplugged, allowed to cool then plugged in again. it made 3 batches of ice and then began to warm up again. would it be possible that a capacitor went bad? I also tested voltage and running over 108VAC. Any thoughts?
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:28:17 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Everything points to the sealed system problem.You would need a professional to take care of that.

Thank you.

Simon.
van1  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:02:55 PM(UTC)
van1

Removed the start device. It rattled. checked the compressor with an ohm meter. Checked ok. Replaced the start device and it worked. Been in service now for over a week. Thanks for the help.
Simon / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 8:55:50 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

You are welcome.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply