Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
j&l  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:55:19 PM(UTC)
j&l

Groups: Registered

Last week I noticed ice-cream was soft and ice cube melting. Checked refrigerator side and temp was up to 60. Husband unplugged and took hair dryer to the bottom of freezer area. He did not remove panel. Freezer side was fine but on the fridge side the temperature would go up quickly if door open etc. So, I took everything out and removed back panel of freezer and noticed some frost and a patch of ice that I'm not sure was left from using hairdryer a few days earlier or if it was new ice. In 2009 Freezer was too cold and fridge too warm and we replace the termistor and problem was solved. Not sure if this is the same problem since it started with warm freezer. I can hear water sizzle when it is in defrost cycle. Any ideas appreciated. Does this picture seem like too much frost after only 3 days from when my husband used hairdryer?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:37:45 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Frost on evaporator coils looks OK to me.

[COLOR="Green"]Last week I noticed ice-cream was soft and ice cube melting. Checked refrigerator side and temp was up to 60. Husband unplugged and took hair dryer to the bottom of freezer area. He did not remove panel.[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Freezer side was fine but on the fridge side the temperature would go up quickly if door open etc. So, I took everything out and removed back panel of freezer and noticed some frost and a patch of ice that I'm not sure was left from using hairdryer a few days earlier or if it was new ice. [/COLOR]
I am a bit confused about the above.
Was the part in green the first problem and then the part in blue a second problem?
Did the second problem only show up after 3 days? Or did it start sooner?
Is the unit's compressor cycling normally or always on or always off?
Is the evaporator fan running?
Is the ice cream OK now ?
Was the vent lower down on the section divider wall clear of food items on both sides? It must be for proper air flow.
Is the damper top/back in the fresh food section open? This is what regulates the amount of cold air entering the fresh food side. It is controlled by the control board and the fresh food thermistor.

See the attachment for the tech sheet, you may want to run the diagnostics.
File Attachment(s):
54603300.pdf (678kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
j&l  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2012 4:03:45 AM(UTC)
j&l

Yes, the highlighted in green was the first thing we noticed.
The blue section is what it was like after my husband took the hairdryer to it that day. When it wasn't quite right two days later I took the freezer panel off (pictures) and then really let it defrost.

Evaporator fan runs

Compressor runs and is warm to the touch. I can't say how much it runs. It is so quiet. I know it does stop once in awhile. Once when it was off I could hear water sizzle in freezer section. I assumed it was in defrost cycle.

I can feel cold air coming from the back vent and front vent in refrigerator
Yesterday freezer was -10 and is set at 0. Has been making ice.

This morning I opened freezer and noticed frozen water droplets on handles of the bins and from bottom of icecube tray. So it seems it warmed up enough to let it melt some and then refreeze?

Today refrigerator side is 40 and set at 35. I try not to open unless I have to.

Thank you so much for your help!
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2012 1:43:31 AM(UTC)
denman

This one may be a pain to find as it sounds intermittent.

Run the diagnostics to see if everything there is OK.

Force a defrost cycle and see it it gets overly warm in the freezer.
My thought here is that the defrost thermostat is not opening (disconnecting the heater) when it should and therefore too much heat is generated during defrost.

Check the connections at the control board.
Unplug the unit and disconnect/reconnect them.
Check that the pins are clean sometimes they can get a dull brown or gray coating on them.

If all is OK then it sounds like the control board is shot.
j&l  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 6:52:43 AM(UTC)
j&l

Tried step 1 test for fc thermister and reading was to be 0 to pass or 2 to fail and we got a 1 on the water filter reading. ??
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:03:56 AM(UTC)
denman

I do not know what a 1 would mean.
Perhaps someone else will jump in who knows.

Here is the thermistor.
Click on the picture to open a new page with a Q&A section which has info on how to test it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply