Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jimh4938  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 10:29:41 AM(UTC)
jimh4938

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have an Amana Fridge. Fridge on top and freezer on the bottom Model=ARB190ZCW.
Recently, the fan was making noise. Much noisier than usual. Then after that the fridge stopped working and its temp rose to just about room temperature. Meanwhile the freezer temp is normal and seems to be working fine. There seems to be an intake vent in the freezer. I'm not sure if this is how the fridge gets cool, but it could be that we blocked the freezer intake to the fridge; and maybe burnt out the fan?? Anyway, looking at the diagrams for this fridge, I see that this fridge has a condenser fan and evaporator fan. There is a thermostat in the freezer and one in the fridge. The one in the freezer seems to be an actual electronic thermostat; turning on and off the compressor. However, the one in the fridge seems to be more of a mechanical linkage. Feels like its opening and closing a vent.

Are there any ideas out there as to what I should be looking for in diagnosing this problem? Is it likely a circulating fan that's gone bad? Am I reading this right and that the fridge doesn't have an electronic thermostat, but rather just a vent control? If so, which fan (evaporator or condenser) is the one that circulates cold air to the fridge?

Thanks for all help!

Jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 5:53:02 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts, includes a wiring diagram.
Replacement parts for AMANA ARB190ZCW | AppliancePartsPros.com

Take a look in the Controls section Item 18, this is your damper assembly
I believe it uses a mechanical thermostat instead of closing a switch the thermostat opens and closes the vent mechanically. It regulates the amount of cold air allowed to enter the fresh food section and therefor the fresh food section temperature.

There is a good chance that your only problem is the evaporator fan, it is required to blow cold air from the freezer up into the fresh food section.

It also circulates air in the freezer you ensure that the food is evenly frozen.

Note: Blocking the cold air intake may effect the fresh food section temperature but will not burn out the fan motor. It is not uncommon for the fans to have problems.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jimh4938  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:54:19 AM(UTC)
jimh4938

Thanks for your help Denman.

Does the evaporator fan run continuously, or is there some control that turns the fan on/off?

Not sure I understand your point about the fan though. Looked like you said that my problem might simply be an evaporator fan, but further down, you said that it is uncommon for fans to have trouble. Are you suggesting the fan is the problem, or the damper?

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:13:50 AM(UTC)
denman

Does the evaporator fan run continuously, or is there some control that turns the fan on/off?
Yes it runs all the time except when the fridge is in defrost mode

Sorry for the confusion.
I said "It is not uncommon for the fans to have problems." meaning that it is common for fans to have problems.
jimh4938  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:21:20 AM(UTC)
jimh4938

Thanks Denman. I'll look at the fan first. If that's going, then I'll check the damper. Thanks for all your help!
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:09:08 PM(UTC)
denman

My pleasure
Sounds like you are almost there
vinsk  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 8:56:36 AM(UTC)
vinsk

I've a Amana ATF1836AR top freezer model. My fan in the freezer started making loud noise since day before yesterday and it stopped suddenly yesterday evening. My freezer is still working but by fridge is not cooling anymore. The freezer has some frost piled up in the back and I switched off the freezer 2 hours back. Please guide if its only the fan or something more serious.. Thanks in advance..
denman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:20:12 AM(UTC)
denman

vinsk

Replacement parts for ATF1836AR models | AppliancePartsPros.com

Remove the rear cover in the freezer so you can see the evaporator coils and fan.

Measure across the fan. If it is getting 120 volts and not turning it is probably toast.
Note: the fan should get power whenever the compressor is on as it is wired in parallel.

Since you mentioned frost build up there is a possibility that you have a defrost problem and the frost/ice has built up to the point that it is interfering with the fan blade.
If this is the case just reply with your findings and I will help you troubleshoot this.
Do not let the unit defrost.
vinsk  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 6:22:48 PM(UTC)
vinsk

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
vinsk

Replacement parts for ATF1836AR models | AppliancePartsPros.com

Remove the rear cover in the freezer so you can see the evaporator coils and fan.

Measure across the fan. If it is getting 120 volts and not turning it is probably toast.
Note: the fan should get power whenever the compressor is on as it is wired in parallel.

Since you mentioned frost build up there is a possibility that you have a defrost problem and the frost/ice has built up to the point that it is interfering with the fan blade.
If this is the case just reply with your findings and I will help you troubleshoot this.
Do not let the unit defrost.

I called up the Amana service which went to whirlpool service center. The technician came in and opened up the panel in the freezer to see if the defrost unit has a problem. The frost was built up so thick that he had to use a blow dryer for at least 45 minutes to melt the ice in and around the defrost unit.The fan was allright except for the heater in the defrost unit, which was bad. The technician called the parts center and to my surprise the part is no longer made. I also looked up on this site and it says the same thing, part discontinued!! So I was told to go and buy a new fridge :eek: The technician charged me $79 for the visit but was here for at least 1 1/2 Hr, said that the fridge is made in Korea. Asked me not to buy Amana products which says "Made in Korea" since they are made cheap, with available parts at that point of time only and so there are less chances of we getting parts. I dont know how true that is but I wont buy Amana/Maytag or maybe whirlpool products anymore....
denman  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:56:23 AM(UTC)
denman

I would remove the heater from the unit and take it to a local appliance parts supply house.
They may be able to supply a heater from another unit that will do the job and fit in your unit.

You may also want to start a new post asking the question does anyone know of a replacement element that will work.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply