Discuss

Freezer Not

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

what type of freon is in that system

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Freezer Not

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 PM

Rockmeal is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

what type of freon is in that system

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Most likely it is R134a. Check out the name plate.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM

what is the psi with the compressor running. Is that a multi speed compressor ?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

How are you going to check it if there are no service ports?

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Cool

I installed a BPV (Bullet Percing Valve for r134a) on the low pressure side. (which I picked up @ Grainger ( part # 6X898 for $3.75, as apposed to a refrigeration supply store.) Having read through several forums I am getting conflicting answers. One said the pressure is best between 25 & 45 psi. The other one said 5 to 8 psi, being a lowpressure system. Having checked the pressure with the compressor off thepressure was 33 psi. Once I cycled the compressor it went down to 5psi with a slight fluctuations. Which led me to believe it might be a multi speed compressor. Thus the question; what is the correct pressure reading for my product.

Last edited by Rockmeal : 07-06-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

5psi is not bad. Can you explain more specific what did you mean "slight fluctuations"?

Gene.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:11 PM

up and down a psi or 2. 5to8 /5to 3
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

I still believe you need a pro to look at it.

Gene.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Gene;

Checked the pressure and charged itseems to be fine. 43 when compressor is off and 5 when it is on. Three dayslater and the fridge is @ 37 and the freezer @ 10 can’t seem to get lower. Once you open either door is open the temp goes up and it takes a long time to recover. I did the fan test and I can hear all the fans come on. When the door is open for a period of time the freezer fan comes on automatically. It’s not a powerful fan. When I remove the lights I can touch the fan and it stops easily. I heard a guy used a computer fan and hasn’t had a problem since. In the mean time, from doing the defrost test the defrost limiter blew. I replaced it and found out that the one All-teck sold me last year was the wrong it was a L60 and the one it calls for is an L 140. So at least the is corrected. So what do you think ismy next step??? Is that a multi speed fan? I seem to remember a loop test on the mother board to check the different speeds. Maybe It's not moving enough cfm's remind me if I am right. what do you think?

Last edited by Rockmeal : 07-14-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmeal View Post
1. ...When I remove the lights I can touch the fan and it stops easily....

2. ...I replaced it and found outthat the one All-teck sold me last year was the wrong it was a L60 and the oneit calls for is an L 140. So at least the is corrected...
1. This is definitely not good. This is DC fan motor which operates by the main control board and has a variable speed. You can learn more about such motors from one of our previous threads: Replacing GE refrigerator evaporator motors and motherboards

I would suggest to replace it together with the main control board. That motor can be the main cause of the problems with your fridge.

Before you'll order the motor you have to determine if the thermistor is wired into the connecting harness or not.

2. This thermostat is not a defrost thermostat which controls defrost temperature in most refrigerators. This thermostat is actually overtemperature thermostat which protects the freezer liner from overheating. That's why it opens at 140F. Defrost temperature in your fridge controls by the defrost thermistor which is located on top of the evaporator coils and the main control board.

- The fan motor with thermistor wired into the connecting harness Part number: WR60X10074

Part number: WR60X10074

- The fan motor without thermistor Part number: WR60X10185

Part number: WR60X10185

- The main control board Part number: WR49X10152

Part number: WR49X10152

Gene.
P.S. Be careful when you are searching different forums. Your refrigerator is not like most of other GE refrigerators because it has dual evaporators and variable speed compressor.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.