Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mekelly  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:13:09 AM(UTC)
mekelly

Groups: Registered

I have an Amana srd25s5e that's about 16 years old. Freezer is about 25 degrees, fridge about 42.

I pulled the panel off the freezer and think I caught it in the defrost cycle and just decided to unplug it.

I unplugged it and let it sit for a couple of days to fully defrost. I plugged it in and it drew 16 amps for a split second, 13 amps or maybe a second and then dropped to about an amp draw. The compressor is running and the condenser fan is running.

I did unplug it a couple of times and plugged it back in. Several times it appeared the compressor didn't start. Amp draw was maybe .05 amps or so and I couldn't feel/hear the compressor running. Unplugged it, let it sit for five minutes or so, plugged it in and it seemed to start fine again.

Any thoughts on additional troubleshooting? I am thinking it's either a bad relay (starter, overload, etc.) or a bad compressor.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:41:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mekelly Go to Quoted Post
...I unplugged it and let it sit for a couple of days to fully defrost. I plugged it in and it drew 16 amps for a split second, 13 amps or maybe a second and then dropped to about an amp draw. The compressor is running and the condenser fan is running...

I'm afraid I did not get it clear...

So, it was running? Why did you unplug it later?

Quote:

...I did unplug it a couple of times and plugged it back in. Several times it appeared the compressor didn't start...

It must be at least 10-15 minutes between you turn it off and on.

What is going on now?

here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Amana SRD25S5E REF - SXS/I&W | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
mekelly  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:54:00 PM(UTC)
mekelly

Unit was not working properly; freezer at 25 degrees, fridge at 43 degrees or so. I had a spare fridge so I moved this one to the basement and left it unplugged for a day.

Plugged it back in to see if compressor and condensor fan were running. They both were. I was just curious if the compressor would kick back on so I unplugged it for a couple of minutes and plugged it back in. Compressor did not start but maybe I didn[t leave it unplugged long enough.

Let it sit for about 45 minutes, plugged it in. Everything kicked on. It's now been running for about 6 hours and is cooling down. Original problem hasn't been fixed though (insufficient cooling.

I will let it run overnight and check temps in the morning but am leery that it will run OK. Something caused it to no cool sufficiently before and nothings been done to fix it other than let it sit unplugged overnight. I know it wasn't the evaporator coils being frozen up as I removed the freezer panel and they weren't iced up.

So, I guess I'll see what it's doing in the morning but still have a feeling a relay or the compressor itself could be bad.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:35:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

One of possibilities is that it was not defrosted properly. If you'll see frost build up at the rear panel in the freezer, check the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater for continuity.

Gene.
mekelly  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:12:19 AM(UTC)
mekelly

I checked the refrigerator this morning after running all night. Freezer at about 4 degrees, refrigerator at 45 degrees.

Compressor was very warm (hot) and condenser fan was stopped. Unit was drawing about 3 amps (about 3 times what appears to be the normal running draw of about an amp).

I let it sit for about 30 minutes, went and checked again. Fridge temp was up a degree or two (about 47 degrees), compressor was hot and condenser fan was trying to spin (barely moving). The unit was drawing an amp. I spun the condenser fan blade and it started turning and running although not nearly as fast as it normally does.

Could this be the root cause of the problem, a bad condenser fan? I am assuming that would cause the compressor to run a lot hotter and the unit not to cool as it should.

Could I just need a new condenser fan unit?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:07:20 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: mekelly Go to Quoted Post
...Could this be the root cause of the problem, a bad condenser fan? I am assuming that would cause the compressor to run a lot hotter and the unit not to cool as it should...

Yes, very likely this is the culprit.

- The condenser fan motor Part number: 833697
Part number: 833697

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply