Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bgoins12  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:09:37 PM(UTC)
bgoins12

Groups: Registered

Hi guys... problem here! We just recently got a used refrigerator from a friend. When he unplugged it and moved it to his garage, it was working fine. It sat about 2 months unplugged.

We brought it home, plugged it in and let it sit for a day. Even on the highest settings, and the damper control open as far as it will go, the fridge section will NOT stay cold. It hovers anywhere from 39-55*. The defrost cycle seems to be working fine, as well as all of the fans. The underside is completely dust free as well.

What else could this be? The freezer is ice cold..but the fridge is not. I am at a loss. What could I be missing?

Thanks,
William
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:23:48 PM(UTC)
richappy2

Check your thermostat and check under the fridge and remove your grill and make sure your condenser is free of and dust or garbage.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:41:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remove the freezer back panel and check frost pattern.If totally frosted, Remove frost and measure the stabilized freezer temperature.
bgoins12  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:23:55 AM(UTC)
bgoins12

I'm really thinking this is an airflow problem. The damper is wide open, the return vent at the bottom left of the refrigerator section is clear and the fan in the freezer is blowing. Also note that the fridge is turned all the way up to 6. The freezer is COLD, about 1-5 degrees, and the fridge section still hangs around 42-55.

Seal on the door is good, no leaks. The condenser fan is keeping the condenser coils cooled down, etc.

As mentioned, I'm at a loss! Maybe the fan in the freezer isn't blowing hard enough? It blows, but maybe it's weak? I'm not sure. I don't know how to test a fan motor.... I'm a computer and car geek!
bgoins12  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:46:53 AM(UTC)
bgoins12

Well... I think I fixed it... in an unorthodox way. I blocked off the cold air duct in the freezer above the ice maker with a plastic bag, so most of the air is going into the fridge part. Well... it has seemed to work. The fridge is at 34* now, and the freezer is still at 1-10 degrees, depending on how often the door is opened. This is all with the fridge set on 6, the maximum setting, and the baffle nearly all of the way open.

Does this just sound like a case of a weak fan for the evaporator? It blows, but it seems it may not be blowing hard enough.
bgoins12  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:02:20 PM(UTC)
bgoins12

Another discovery. As it gets hotter (we have no AC), the whole fridge in general becomes more inefficient. As it cools down (like it is now), the fridge gets colder, which leads me to believe that the condenser coils and compressor aren't being cooled enough. The fan is spinning, and when it's off, it spins freely. Could this just be a case of a failing fan that isn't spinning fast enough, or am I missing something here? Hopefully this can be solved without calling a repairman!
richappy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:16:06 AM(UTC)
richappy

Did you read my post?
bgoins12  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:53:53 AM(UTC)
bgoins12

Yes, it's working properly. The defrost cycle does come on when it needs to.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:36:35 AM(UTC)
richappy

Measure the stabilized freezer temperature and post.
bgoins12  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:48:50 AM(UTC)
bgoins12

Ok, it hasn't been opened in 3 hours. I checked it and it's 5*F. that's with the settings all the way up to 6, and the shutter between the freezer and fridge opened all of the way. The fridge is 40*F.

I still know this isn't right. Our old top freezer fridge at recommended midway settings was 1*F in the freezer, and 36* in the fridge.

Forgot to mention, this is with a window fan behind the fridge keeping the coils and compressor cool.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply