Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mensch-Maschine  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:55:47 AM(UTC)
Mensch-Maschine

Groups: Registered

Help is greatly appreciated!...

Refrigerator (Top Freezer) Model Number GTH22SBSARSS, approximately 6+ years old.

Problem:
Not Cooling properly (both refrigerator and freezer) for approximately 24 to 48 hrs (freezer temp to 40°F). Unplugged and removed rear bottom panel. Found condenser fan not operating because the 4-pin electrical connector for the fan power had some how separated. It was somewhat of a stretch to get the two sets of wires/connectors together and it seems likely that they were never properly locked together from manufacturing and had separated due to vibration over the years. Compressor was very hot. Re-connected 4-pin connector and plugged unit back in to wall receptacle. Compressor kicked on and unit began cooling again.

After several hours, found that unit was still not cooling properly. Discovered compressor not operating while the rest of the unit was operating (including condenser fan). Performed the following tests:

• Freezer thermistor at pin on PC board. Resistance corresponded with expected resistance for given temperature.
  • Removed compressor start capacitor and tested capacitance... OK.
  • Removed start relay and overload protector from compressor. Tested for continuity between compressor pins and housing (paint scraped away)... no continuity.
  • Tested resistance between pins on compressor (Embraco EGY70HLP). Top 2 pins = 10.7 ohms, top left pin and bottom pin = 4.6 ohms, top right pin and bottom pin = 6.3 ohms. This seems OK since the resistance of the top 2 pins is approximately the sum of the resistance between each top and bottom pin.
Cleaned condensor coils (not very dusty in the first place). Plugged unit back in and it began to cool properly for the next week (freezer maintained temp at 0°F or below).

After a week, the unit began to warm up again (freezer in the upper 30s°F). Discovered same problem with the compressor not operating properly. The compressor would run for a short time (~2 minutes) and then shut off while the rest of the unit stayed in operation (fans, etc.). Sometimes, after unplugging the unit for 30+ seconds, the compressor would not come on at all when plugged back in. Checked wall receptacle voltage with multimeter... checked OK (~122 volts).

I started to suspect that the unit being bumped (like from closing the refrigerator door less than gently) had an effect on whether or not the compressor would operate properly. The compressor seems properly seated at the grommets and everything appears to be in its proper place. The unit works most of the time, but every other day or so it starts to warm up again. I unplug the unit, bump the compressor a few times, and it starts to work again.

At this point, I'm planning on ordering a start relay and overload protector since they are cheap. Am I on the right track or could it be something else?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.