Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ShaneT  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2012 7:09:27 PM(UTC)
ShaneT

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I have a kenmore clear ice cuber model 198887482. I had this unit given to me so I don't know much about it but I do have some experience with some ice machines. The problem with this machine is the ice is forming on the freezing plate but when it slides down onto the cutting plate it seems like it is not wanting to cut the ice. I checked the voltage to the plate and it has about 8 volts AC at the plug but it is not cutting the ice all the time. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Shane
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abuilder2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:43:37 PM(UTC)
abuilder2

Try this URL. It is packed with information on these units. Repairing the Whirlpool and KitchenAid Ice Machines
Joyce Johnsen  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:25:56 AM(UTC)
Joyce Johnsen

I have a Kenmore ice cuber that my father gave me. It was working great. I had a reverse osmosis system hooked up to it with no problem until one of the filters on the reverse osmosis clogged. The ice machine stopped working at that time. Sears came out and said that they don't have the parts for it anymore. It makes slabs of ice but then the grid is extremely slow to cut it so I think it is the grid. How do I know that for sure.
abuilder2  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:57:38 AM(UTC)
abuilder2

Originally Posted by: Joyce Johnsen Go to Quoted Post
I have a Kenmore ice cuber that my father gave me. It was working great. I had a reverse osmosis system hooked up to it with no problem until one of the filters on the reverse osmosis clogged. The ice machine stopped working at that time. Sears came out and said that they don't have the parts for it anymore. It makes slabs of ice but then the grid is extremely slow to cut it so I think it is the grid. How do I know that for sure.

I don't know what model machine you have but parts are available for them. At least some parts. They do have the cutter grid for about $190. Also rebuilt grids may be available from others. See Repairing the Whirlpool and KitchenAid Ice Machines. I had a similar problem that turned out to be the water valve. The grid can cause problems but it is usually broken when it does except when the transformer to the grid fails.
Joyce Johnsen  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:09:52 PM(UTC)
Joyce Johnsen

It is model 198.887482 I found the cutter grid assembly for 175.00 on repair ************ .com for this model number but I'm not really sure that is the problem. I took the grid out and inspected the wires and they seem fine. The transformer is also available on ************************.com for this model but I'm not sure if I need to get the grid, the transformer, neither or both. The Sears repairman was unhelpful. My husband was there when he arrived. He never looked inside the machine. He just said it's too old and you can't get parts.
abuilder2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:35:02 PM(UTC)
abuilder2

Originally Posted by: Joyce Johnsen Go to Quoted Post
It is model 198.887482 I found the cutter grid assembly for 175.00 on repair ************ .com for this model number but I'm not really sure that is the problem. I took the grid out and inspected the wires and they seem fine. The transformer is also available on ************************.com for this model but I'm not sure if I need to get the grid, the transformer, neither or both. The Sears repairman was unhelpful. My husband was there when he arrived. He never looked inside the machine. He just said it's too old and you can't get parts.

Check to see if the cube thickness control changes the thickness of the ice slab. If it doesn't then listen the the machine as it nears the end of its cycle. If the pump is making a lot of noise then you are not getting enough water during the fill cycle. It could be the fill valve. Remove it, take it apart and clean it out. This is worth a try. Turn off the power to the machine and the water before doing anything to it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply