Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
freebird3754  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:25:31 PM(UTC)
freebird3754

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have been having an issue with my side by side fridge. the coils in the freezer section will freeze up and the fridge side will warm up, I have defrosted the coils and I can get 15 or so days before it will freeze up again. I have checked the motor and it is working. I was told that the defroster sensor may not be working correct. When I take it apart to see if i can get that part out it is wired to a harness. My ? is this it seems as if I am going to have to replace the harness and the motor assembly in order to replace the defroster sensor, is this so? Is the expense for this whole assembly expensive if that is what I need to do, or to I need to look at something else as the issue?

Thanks for any responses
Tim B:)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:24:52 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi, Tim.

If you own a multimeter we can do the diagnostics.
With the evaporator icy cold unplug the unit and locate the main control board at the back of the frig (covered by the metal plate).
Remove the cover and locate at the left side of the control board plug J7 and directly above it 3 wire plug.
Remove both plugs and check continuity between top wire J7 and middle wire from 3 wire plug J9.
You should read 22+ Ohms.
If the reading is OK - replace the control board.
If the circuit is open or the resistance is off by far - open the evaporator and Ohm the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat separately.

The control board Part number: WR55X10942
Part number: WR55X10942

The defrost heater Part number: WR51X10101
Part number: WR51X10101

The defrost thermostat Part number: WR50X10068
Part number: WR50X10068

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSS22IFPDCC Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Thank you. Post the results.
Simon.
freebird3754  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:40:09 PM(UTC)
freebird3754

Thanks Simonfor your reply. I will have to get the meter from work tomorrow to test things. How do I test the defrost heater and thermostat? I have defrosted the fridge and it is working for the time being.
Thanks again for your quick reply.
Tim B.

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Tim.

If you own a multimeter we can do the diagnostics.
With the evaporator icy cold unplug the unit and locate the main control board at the back of the frig (covered by the metal plate).
Remove the cover and locate at the left side of the control board plug J7 and directly above it 3 wire plug.
Remove both plugs and check continuity between top wire J7 and middle wire from 3 wire plug J9.
You should read 22+ Ohms.
If the reading is OK - replace the control board.
If the circuit is open or the resistance is off by far - open the evaporator and Ohm the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat separately.

The control board Part number: WR55X10942
Part number: WR55X10942

The defrost heater Part number: WR51X10101
Part number: WR51X10101

The defrost thermostat Part number: WR50X10068
Part number: WR50X10068

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSS22IFPDCC Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Thank you. Post the results.
Simon.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:30:01 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

To check the defrost heater remove (very carefully not to brake the contacts) wires of and check the continuity.

If you not able to locate any quick disconnect, cut the two wires to the thermostat and then splice them after the test.

Post the results.

Simon.
freebird3754  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:36:05 PM(UTC)
freebird3754

Hello Simon I have attempted to check the cotinuity with the meter set to ohms. I located j7 which was a orange wire and j9 which was a blue wire and I get no reading at all. I had to scrape back some of the orange wire to be able to make contact but still no reading.

Thanks tim B.

Originally Posted by: freebird3754 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Simonfor your reply. I will have to get the meter from work tomorrow to test things. How do I test the defrost heater and thermostat? I have defrosted the fridge and it is working for the time being.
Thanks again for your quick reply.
Tim B.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:20:13 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

If there is an open circuit between J7-pin9 and J9 proceed to defrost heater and thermostat check. Make sure that evaporator is frosted up before you Ohm the thermostat.

Good luck.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply