Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jeeves  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 6:53:35 AM(UTC)
Jeeves

Groups: Registered

Water puddles have been in front of the freezer door.

I took everything out, removed FROZEN sheet of ice from bottom of freezer area.

Found frozen ice around/in drip tray below some coils below the 'air flow' area in the lower portion of freezer.

With hair dryer, defrosted everything and verified no obstruction and clean hole to tray UNDER the freezer.

A couple days later, I noticed the hole is CLOGGED again...

Something is not heating or defrosting????
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:50:16 PM(UTC)
applianceman

The best way to clean this hole is with a turkey baser. Force water down the drain until water flows freely. Then mix water with baking soda and pour it down the drain. Refrigerator repair guide
denman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 2:27:11 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You may also want to remove/check the drip tray under the unit, sometimes the drain tube can be partially clogged here due to dust.

I recommend you flush the drain tube with a 10% bleach solution to kill the crud growing in the tube.

If all this fails there is a jiggery pokery fix for this. Take a bare copper piece of 14 gauge wire, wrap this around the bottom of the heater, then route it down the drain tube a couple inches.
The theory is that the wire will heat up during the defrost cycle and help keep the drain clear of ice. You only want it to get warm so only do a couple wraps around the heater.
I only recommend this as a last resort.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Jeeves  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:29:19 AM(UTC)
Jeeves

Thanks denam... especially for helping a app-newbie. In the KitchenAid (circa 2003) model KSRS25ILWH02[URL="http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/modelsearch.aspx?
I can't figure out how to manuver the the (bottom) drip tray out.. It's mostly blocked by the water filter.

In addition, I have been able to unscrew the aluminum cover that is covering the air flow supply, and the coils, but I haven't figured out the magical angle to remove this cover without having to remove they tray TRACKS and/or scratching the inside of the freezer. Do I have to remove the tracks?

I read also where a water mixture of backing soda is suggested...

Oh, I wouldn't even call this a tube - it's so big and short - I would call it a plug in a way :)

Regarding the 'fix', I found the heater element, part AP298898 identified in the "UNIT PARTS" - From below, where about is this? I'm trying to avoid pulling the unit out... The coils are a little dusty and based on the triangular fashion, how the heck does one clean them? Think I should just use my compressor and use another vacuum to channel the dust to the vacuum? There is no way anyone can clean those coils easily!

Anyway, TIA!
mharrison  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:20:18 AM(UTC)
mharrison

Originally Posted by: Jeeves Go to Quoted Post
Thanks denam... especially for helping a app-newbie. In the KitchenAid (circa 2003) model KSRS25ILWH02[URL="http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/modelsearch.aspx?
I can't figure out how to manuver the the (bottom) drip tray out.. It's mostly blocked by the water filter.

In addition, I have been able to unscrew the aluminum cover that is covering the air flow supply, and the coils, but I haven't figured out the magical angle to remove this cover without having to remove they tray TRACKS and/or scratching the inside of the freezer. Do I have to remove the tracks?

I read also where a water mixture of backing soda is suggested...

Oh, I wouldn't even call this a tube - it's so big and short - I would call it a plug in a way :)

Regarding the 'fix', I found the heater element, part AP298898 identified in the "UNIT PARTS" - From below, where about is this? I'm trying to avoid pulling the unit out... The coils are a little dusty and based on the triangular fashion, how the heck does one clean them? Think I should just use my compressor and use another vacuum to channel the dust to the vacuum? There is no way anyone can clean those coils easily!

Anyway, TIA!

I'm grateful to Denman for his suggestion to remove the Drain pan - mine has the crud of ages in it and it needs cleaning.

Question: Can I get the drain pan out from the back of the refrig. with it still standing upright? Or will I need to tilt the refrig on its side to expose the underneath?

Thanks.

Mike
mharrison  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:23:44 AM(UTC)
mharrison

Thanks Denman>

How do I get the drip pan out? Can I do it with the refrig standing upright? Or do I need to tilt it on its side to expose the underneath?

Thanks.

Mike
denman  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:28:14 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Cannot say for sure but usually you should be able to get it out through the front once the kick plate is removed.

Hopefully someone with actual experience on this unit will jump in and help out.
If not, start a new thread with the Model Number and "How to remove the drip tray"
Some folks on this forum seem a little shy on adding to another expert's advice. I will not reply so others will be more more open to replying.

PS: I am not an expert just a fix-it-man as my kids used to call me.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply