Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ctviggen  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:02:40 PM(UTC)
ctviggen

Groups: Registered

I have an Amana bottom freezer model. The wife thought everything in the fridge section was warm, so I put in a thermometer. This listed a quite high temperature (as high as 60+), but that was in the top of the fridge section, with new water and open door, etc. So we turned both the freezer and fridge section to the coldest settings. Even with these, the fridge is only about 40 degrees after a night, but the freezer is frozen. (Don't have a thermometer in the freezer yet.)

I've taken the back apart and cleaned everything. The fan works as does the compressor.

I've taken the interior panel off to show the defrost portion. There's no freezing/ice and the fan works. I tested the defrost heater, and it's at 30 ohms, which means it's supposed to be good.

So, everything seems to be working, but the temperature is still not cold, considering we have both controls at the coldest settings.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? A coolant leak?

Also, there was one time when I had turned down the freezer control until it "clicked" but nothing came on for a while. Anyone know what might cause this?

Finally, does anyone know where I can get a repair manual for this?

Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:50:21 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

With the compressor running and no defrost problems I would say you have a sealed system problem, low or out of refrigerant.

Was there any type of frost line on the evaperator coils in the freezer?
ctviggen  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2012 4:29:02 PM(UTC)
ctviggen

Originally Posted by: ApplianceJunk Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

With the compressor running and no defrost problems I would say you have a sealed system problem, low or out of refrigerant.

Was there any type of frost line on the evaperator coils in the freezer?

Thank you for the response. There wasn't a frost line (although I'm not sure what that is) in the evap coils in the freezer. It seemed to work perfectly fine. The only frost on the coils was at the two ends of the coils; otherwise, no frost.

I've ordered the damper control and the thermostat. I believe at least the damper control might be bad (not sure about the thermostat).

I took a look at the electrical circuit diagram that's on the back of the fridge. Unfortunately, it's written so small I have to use a magnifying glass to read it, so I couldn't analyze the diagram as well as I'd have liked. When we turn the temperature control in the freezer, you can hear the temp control click, meaning the fridge should come on. However, the fridge does not come on. Why doesn't the compressor come on?

My brief analysis of the circuit diagram indicates the only thing that turns on and off the compressor is the temp control, except that there is also an overload relay that can turn the compressor off. Is this the case, or is there something else (other than the temp control) that can prevent the compressor from starting?

Thank you.
ctviggen  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2012 5:22:01 PM(UTC)
ctviggen

Does anyone know where I can get a circuit diagram for this? The diagram on the back of the fridge is incredibly hard to read (not to mention being on the back of the fridge). I had the problem tonight where first the temperature control did not seem to "click" at all (either hot or cold), then we finally got the temperature control to click on (so the compressor, etc. should come on), but nothing came on for a while. A printout of the diagram would be helpful (I have a degree in electrical engineering, so it should be a piece of cake to decipher).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply