Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
six_pack  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:34:56 PM(UTC)
six_pack

Groups: Registered

Hi, I have a GE Profile refrigerator that is having an issue keeping a cool temperature inside the fridge and and freezer consistently. I've been reading on the forms here to ensure the doors are closed, lights off, condenser coils clean etc. I think I've done all that it seems to work for a few days before starting to 'warm' again. A few other observations:

1. I've noticed on the back metal panel to the left behind the fridge there is frost building up on a section of it.
2. The condenser fan at the back beside the compressor seems to run for hours on end
3. I hear what sounds like liquid dripping but no water is coming out into the drip pan and have never seen any for the 2 weeks I've been observing
4. If I unplug the fridge and re-plug it in a few mins later, seems to "restart" and get cool again
5. No build-up of ice anywhere in the freezer (which I believe is a good sign)

Any idea what the problem could be?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2012 12:53:21 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remove the back freezer panel and describe the frost pattern, partial light frost or frozen completely with heavy frost.
six_pack  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2012 4:26:04 AM(UTC)
six_pack

Thanks for the reply

The frost is pretty thick as it's coming through the insulation over the copper piping and onto the metal plate. I attached a picture before removing the plate showing the frost buildup. It's only thick in that one spot

One other observation I remember 'working' - after it starts getting warm, if I move the temperature dial inside the fridge in either direction (I keep it usually at around 8 or 9), this seems to start cooling the fridge again.
six_pack attached the following image(s):
frost-fridge.jpg
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2012 5:15:56 AM(UTC)
richappy

Looks like you have an intermittent defrost thermostat, a round device clipped to the top of the evaporator. That's the most likely problem. Look it up on this site and order it. Verify the defrost heater is good first.
six_pack  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 6:28:05 AM(UTC)
six_pack

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Looks like you have an intermittent defrost thermostat, a round device clipped to the top of the evaporator. That's the most likely problem. Look it up on this site and order it. Verify the defrost heater is good first.

Rich - Thanks for the advice. From what I can see on this site, I've located the part. (the part looks like this: http://www.fixya.com/uploads/Images/4462625.jpg)

Question about the defrost heater: How do I check that?

Thx
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 7:17:45 AM(UTC)
richappy

If you can pull the heater out, just look at it, if it is black inside with a bare spot, it's blown. Either that, or short the defrost thermostat and turn the defrost timer (located under the control panel) till the compressor stops. If you get defrost action, it's ok. Do NOT keep the thermostat shorted, you will reget it!
six_pack  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2012 2:37:33 PM(UTC)
six_pack

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
If you can pull the heater out, just look at it, if it is black inside with a bare spot, it's blown. Either that, or short the defrost thermostat and turn the defrost timer (located under the control panel) till the compressor stops. If you get defrost action, it's ok. Do NOT keep the thermostat shorted, you will reget it!

Thanks for the advice Rich. I'm going to clear out the fridge/freezer tomorrow and have a look at the heater & timer. Not sure if this would also help but two additional observations:

1. There is condensation (water) droplets at the bottom of the fridge by door (above where there seems to be a vent from between the freezer and the fridge). From what I can see from the diagrams on this site, this is where the evaporator is (and those other parts you have mentioned).

2. When the fan eventually stops running, seems like there is a loud "knock" often. I'm not sure if that's the compressor motor or what...
richappy  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2012 2:54:47 PM(UTC)
richappy

The knock is probably from a weak internal compressor sping, nothing to worry about, you are just lucky it only makes a noise when it shuts down.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply