Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
globeam  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:59:24 PM(UTC)
globeam

Groups: Registered

Hi,

the freezer is cooling good (down to -4F) but my fresh food temperature varies from 42F down to 32F no matter how I set the temperature control. Which means that food is very cold and almost frozen.
Right now I have set the temperature control a little bit left of zero and the compressor starts every 10 minutes for a 15 minute cooling cycle which seems way too often. The ambient temperature is around 80F.

What I already did:

- Cleaned the condenser coils and under the fridge.
- Opened backpanel in freezer. Evaporator is not covered with ice. Fan is running smoothly. Damper control knob is turning and working.
- Checked the temperature control by taking one wire off and leaving the other one on the control (and vice versa). Then pluged the refrigerator in and the compressor did not start.
- Checked the continuity of the temperature control. Took both wires off and the ohmmeter first showed infinity no matter how the control dial was set. After a minute I tried it again and it showed 0 Ohm at the highest setting and "infinity" Ohm in off setting.
- Checked the resistance in the wiring. Took both cables off the temperature control and measured the following:

• 30 Ohm when door is open
  • 1.9 kOhm when door is closed and lamp is removed
  • infinity Ohm when door is closed, lamp is removed and moisture reduction switch is off
Could it be a broken temperature control? What else could I check to figure out what is wrong with the refrigerator?

Thanks
globeam
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 4:08:35 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Did this unit ever work OK for you or is it new to you.

You say the damper works but is it set to allow the minimum amount of cold air into the fresh food section.

Yes, it could be the main thermostat.
Does adjusting it actually change the freezer temperature.
It will probably need about 24 hours before you see the results.

If this unit never worked OK for you check the thermostat temperature probe.
Looks like it should be in a plastic sleeve ( I am not 100% sure on this and am just looking at the parts breakdown) perhaps someone replaced the thermostat in the past but did not use the sleeve.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
globeam  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 10:15:48 AM(UTC)
globeam

I bought this unit two months ago on craigslist. The guy said it works fine. I thought the unit might have a problem because the compressor was running a lot.

I set the thermostat to the lowest temperature setting "6" almost an hour ago. Since then the compressor is running and I had -4F in the freezer and 37F in the fresh food unit (middle shelf). Seems like the freezer temperature stays at -4F and the fresh food temperature is falling even more (now at 29F). I'll let it run a little bit longer on that setting and will post the results.

There is a plastic sleeve around the metal wire (guess that's the thermostat temperature probe). That wire is connected to the thermostat and goes into a small tube in the air deflector (connection between freezer and fresh food; see attached picture).

I took the air deflector apart and it looks like there is no real "door" that opens/closes. Just some styrofoam in a plastic housing with holes where the cold air is coming in from the fan in the freezer section. The damper knob is set to the second warmest setting and I can feel the cold air coming in from the freezer.
globeam attached the following image(s):
P1050679.jpg
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 11:58:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Your freezer temperature does seem too cold.
The spec for a freezer is O to 5 degrees F.
So -4 at the warmest setting is way too cold.

I would try to get the end of the thermostat's capillary tube up closer to the freezer section.
If this does nothing or you cannot do it then I would replace the thermostat.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
globeam  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 11:10:22 PM(UTC)
globeam

I took the air deflector apart and saw that the thermostat "wire" was inside a little plastic pipe.
So I took this pipe out and put the wire back into the air deflector. It seems to work. The compressor is not running that long anymore and the temperatures are between 37F and 41F.

If I want to turn the thermostat setting to a colder level it actually increases the temperature in the fresh food unit. So I guess the thermostat might still be broken.
I'll leave it how it is right now and maybe buy a new thermostat later. But for now it's ok.

Thank you for your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply