Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
calvinpe  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:36:14 PM(UTC)
calvinpe

Groups: Registered

My Compressor resistance is 6.7 ohms on any combination of the three terminals. No resistance (infinity) is measured between ground and any of the three terminals. I read here that one pair's resistance should be the total of the other two pair. I noticed that when I popped the terminal cover this model does not look like to have the starter/relay. I am not sure if the round thing this 3 pins (2 top, 1 bottom) are connected to is the starter/relay and can be popped. Can you please tell me if my compressor is good.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:27:47 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You have a special compressor driven by a three phase inverter box AP4308835.
Check out Genes comment by puting in the search box above "no cooling in either freezer or refrigerator sections".
His proceedure does not include a compressor test. Check the fuse in the inverter box, if blown, there is a chance the compressor has burnt windings which cannot be verified with an ohms check.
calvinpe  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:03:10 AM(UTC)
calvinpe

I did not see a fuse in the inverter box but there is a sign of burn on the plastic case under the PCB board. This started with a warm front panel dividing the freezer and fridge, weeks later the freezer/fridge temp stopped cooling the food, then 2 days later a burnt smell coming from behind the fridge. I open the back cover and noticed the yellow insulation is black but the insulation around the compressor is still yellow. The condenser was covered with dust, so I cleaned it. The compressor and fan stopped working but the light inside the fridge/freezer still on. The control board still gives out 123VAC to the inverter box but inverter box is fried. I am worried that replacing the inverter box with a bad compressor will just fry it again. How else can I check the compressor ?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:28:22 AM(UTC)
richappy

No other way to test the compressor. This site is really great, if the new inverter box fails to start the compressor, you can send it back, but if it burns up, personally, I would not send it back. Considering the cost of the inverter, I would probably junk the fridg.
Apparently, this fridg is different than the one Gene comented on and I will try to search for diagnostics for this one. More later.
Update, ran Google search, no go. I would re-post and ask for Gene's help, he has probably seen this before.
calvinpe  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:04:02 AM(UTC)
calvinpe

Thank you for your help. I will check to see how much a new one would cost and see if it is worth the risk of repairing this unit. If you hear anything that I could do to test the compressor, please post it.

Thanks...
calvinpe  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 7:29:03 PM(UTC)
calvinpe

I checked that there is a 123VAC from the Control Board to the wire that plugs into the inverter box. I replaced my inverter box but the fan is not turning (no voltage) and the compressor does not make any sound and does not even feel (just quiet ?) like it is working. The evaporator turns white like freezing and the evaporator fan is blowing air. The freezer was set to 66 deg and after setting it to 0 deg it changed to something else. Is it the Control Board AP4411082 this time that I need to replace or do I have a problem with the compressor ?
richappy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:36:19 AM(UTC)
richappy

If you have frost in the freezer, your compressor is running!
calvinpe  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:47:20 AM(UTC)
calvinpe

Does the condenser fan only run when the compressor is warm/hot. I pulled the plug on the unit as soon as I noticed that the condenser fan is not running because It might burn the inverter box again.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:50:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would put a portable fan on the compressor and condensing coils and if the fan motor is getting voltage, order a new one here. Usually the condenser fan is wired in parellel with the compressor, and yes, it must be running when the compressor is on.
calvinpe  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:58:20 AM(UTC)
calvinpe

I turned the refrigerator on for about 2 hours, and put am external fan in the compressor area. Turned the control to "Max Cool" and ref/freezer were both cold, but noticed the front panel between the ref/freezer and side of the doors are warm to the touch (maybe just my imagination ?). I already cleaned the condenser coil, so I checked and still clean. The condenser fan never turned on but the compressor does run and the voltage is about 3VAC to the condenser fan. What voltage should I expect from the control board ? What else could be causing my front panel to heat ?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply