Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sund  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:26:02 PM(UTC)
sund

Groups: Registered

I have an icemaker that quit working. Water from the water dispenser works fine. I turned down the temp on the freezer to see if the water dispenser tube had frozen over. I left it that way overnight. I then turned it to max cold to see if that would help and that didn't either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sun
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 4:48:17 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: sund Go to Quoted Post
I have an icemaker that quit working. Water from the water dispenser works fine. I turned down the temp on the freezer to see if the water dispenser tube had frozen over. I left it that way overnight. I then turned it to max cold to see if that would help and that didn't either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sun

Could be a number of different things. Possibly the fill line where the water enters the back of the freezer is frozen over and not allowing water to enter the IM. Might be the water valve which sends water up to the IM. Some of these models have more then one valve involved. Do you possibly have the "P" number that is on the ID plate? That differentiates the different revisions on this model.
sund  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 7:45:00 AM(UTC)
sund

Thanks for the quick reply. The part number is: [FONT=&quot]P1190407W L. From your post, it looks like i should go to the external back of the refridgerator and check for a line directly to the ice maker as well as check the valve there.
[/FONT]
Frank / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 8:31:06 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Thanks for the quick reply. The part number is: [FONT=&quot]P1190407W L. From your post, it looks like i should go to the external back of the refridgerator and check for a line directly to the ice maker as well as check the valve there.[/FONT]

The water valve is located in the back of the refrig. It's what your house water line connects to on the rear of the refrig. Below is a picture with the part #. The spot where I mentioned it might be froze is in the freezer section where that tube goes into the fill cup of the IM. Although when your behind the unit you could disconnect the plastic line that goes up the back wall feeding your IM, and blow through it to see if its clear.

Part number: AP4134853
sund  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 8:33:25 PM(UTC)
sund

The line from the water valve to the IM appears to be clear and not frozen. Would you suggest trying to replace the water valve first?

Thanks,
Sun
Frank / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:08:41 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

The line from the water valve to the IM appears to be clear and not frozen. Would you suggest trying to replace the water valve first?

Thanks,
Sun

I don't like guessing, but there's a good chance it may be the valve. The only real way to prove it is to have a volt meter handy and check to see if it's getting power when the IM goes through a harvest mode.
sund  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:27:45 AM(UTC)
sund

I was searching around the site and one suggestion was to switch the plugs on the valve to see if water would come out of the dispenser. Does that apply in this situation as well. I never hear the valve making any noise so it would be tough to go the volt meter route. If it is to switch the plugs, do I switch the 2 plugs one one side with the other 2 on the other?
Frank / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:46:00 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

I was searching around the site and one suggestion was to switch the plugs on the valve to see if water would come out of the dispenser. Does that apply in this situation as well. I never hear the valve making any noise so it would be tough to go the volt meter route. If it is to switch the plugs, do I switch the 2 plugs one one side with the other 2 on the other?

You can try that. You'll have to push the water dispenser button to send power to the valve. If water shoots into the IM then you know the valve is ok. Don't hold down on the dispenser too long or you'll have water all over your freezer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply