Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lego126  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:55:52 PM(UTC)
lego126

Groups: Registered

First I noticed the milk was not very cold.... took everything out of the freezer,, and it was froze up. Now. it is freezing up every 3-5 days. From what I've read so far, it is one of these 3 things... Defrost timer, defrost heater, defrost thermostat.My question, is can anyone tell me how to check these 3 things? How much resistance should I be getting on each of the 3? And I can't seem to locate the defrost timer on the diagrams. Thanks for this service.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:14:57 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts includes the wiring diagram.
Replacement parts for Frigidaire FRS22ZRFW1 Frg(v2) / Side By Side Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

First remove the evaporator cover in the freezer so you can see the coils.
Do not let them de-ice.
If they are heavily iced/frosted over you have a defrost problem.

If yes.
Manually force a defrost cycle by turning the defrost timer cam (Item 23 in Section 3) till the fans and compressor turn off.
Looks like it is behind the kick plate, there is usually a hole so you can turn the cam without dismantling things.
Now check the defrost heater to see if it is on.
Be careful you do not want to burn your fingers.
If the heater is on then the timer needs replacing, re: it is probably stalling during it's rotation so is never getting into a defrost cycle.

If not on.
Unplug the unit.
Remove the wire for one side of the heating element (Item 14 in Section 10) from the wiring and measure it for continuity, usually around 20 ohms or so.

If the heater is OK
Remove one wire to the defrost thermostat (Item 21 in Section 10) and measure it, should be 0 ohms when frozen. Note that it opens just above freezing so must be frozen to check it. Also inspect it, if it is bulged at all replace it even if it measures OK.

If both the above are OK then odds are the defrost timer contacts are toast.
Best way to test this is a live test to see if you have 120 volts across the heater/defrost thermostat combo.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
TJames  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:22:23 AM(UTC)
TJames

I see there are several Frigidaire freezer threads here. Is this brand more problematic? I've heard good things about Whirlpool freezers long term
lego126  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:46:56 AM(UTC)
lego126

Originally Posted by: TJames Go to Quoted Post
I see there are several Frigidaire freezer threads here. Is this brand more problematic? I've heard good things about Whirlpool freezers long term

I'm not sure whether they are problematic or not, but this particular fridge is over 15yrs. old, and I've never had any problems with it.

Thank you for the input Denman. I'll check it out this afternoon, and let you know the results first thing in the morn.
lego126  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 4:41:18 AM(UTC)
lego126

Ok I advanced the timer and the heater came on, I could hear the hissing and see the steam, so I went and got a timer. Hopefully this will fix it. I do have one more question concerning the way it was hooked up. There are 2 black wires from the heater, and there are 2 wires on the thermostat, and 2 from somewhere else above the thermostat. Unfortunately I was not paying atention when I unhooked the thermostat and heater. And I just wanna make sure it's right if anyone knows. Thermoostat wires, One Red and one white, wires from heater 2 black wires, and above thermostat there are 2 wires, one white and one brown. I've looked at the electrical diagrams but they don't seem to say anything about wire colors. Thanks for the help
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 5:43:53 AM(UTC)
denman

I could not find a better copy of the wiring layout for this particular unit.
I did find one for a FRS22ZRGB2 which looks like a close match.
See the attachment.

I am assuming that the white and brown upper wires are the wires that power the heater/thermostat combo.

So the brown goes to one side of the thermostat.
The other side of the thermostat goes to the heater.
The other side of the thermostat goes to the white.

The heater and thermostat are wired in series so it is

Power----thermostat---heater---Neutral.
File Attachment(s):
GB1.pdf (193kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
lego126  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 6:24:10 PM(UTC)
lego126

Thank you for your assistance. Hopefully I'll get another 15 yrs.
lego126  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:03:35 PM(UTC)
lego126

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post

So the brown goes to one side of the thermostat.
The other side of the thermostat goes to the heater.
The other side of the thermostat goes to the white.

Power----thermostat---heater---Neutral.

There are 2 wires above thermostat coming from inside freezer, brown and white, 2 wires on thermostat, red and white, and 2 wires on the heaer, both black. So brown to one side of thermostat,(red or white) the other wire frorm thermostat, to heater, and other heater back to the white from freezer wiring. Would it matter if I get it mixed up? I took the thermostat out and plugged the heater directly into the brown and white wires, and the heater came on, and the heater checks good with 22 OHMS, and the thermostat is a lil bulged as well.
denman  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 1:54:28 AM(UTC)
denman

It does not matter if you mix them upAs long as the heater and thermostat are wired is series.

Since the thermostat is bulged it should be replaced even if it measures OK.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply