Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jkempf  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:23:18 PM(UTC)
jkempf

Groups: Registered

When I pop out the water filter in the grill of fridge to replace it, the water does not shut off and shoots out from the filter housing, so I have to manually turn the water off at the wall valve. There is not any leakage when the filter is installed. It used to shut off automatically when the filter is removed. Also, water dispenser does not work with filter removed. Inlet valve appears to be ok, icemaker and dispenser work fine. Could there be some calcium buildup or something else causing the valve to not close completely and causing water to run when the filter is removed? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Greg Michalak  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:59:45 PM(UTC)
Greg Michalak

Groups: Registered

Water doesn't shut off when Filter is removed.

Well it should and here is a link to explain why and how and lets you see that it is indeed the water filter housing failing to do it's job. Page 5 of the PDF file shows the theory of how your water system works proving some parts and repair folks that the main water supply runs direct to the filter housing and has auto shut off in itself, (I suggest opening the back board cover to see your supply as I did to guarantee the lead goes right to the housing) not a valve problem that is allowing water to run when filter is removed. Page 8 explains how to replace filter housing.
https://secured.whirlpoo...ec18554852571ca006c2543/$FILE/R-89.pdf
You can call one of the parts sale online w/your model No. and they can provide you w/the part No. for your refrig. filter housing.
I just ordered one from amazon for $33.40, many parts places want over $50 to $80 for the same part.
Why this question isn't answer on many blogs I don't know.
Best of luck.
Greg

OH, by the way, reason no water to dispenser w/filter out...because it should of course but that housing is suppose to act as a bypass when the filter is out but if malfunctioning we loose that ability to still have water to ice maker and dispencer. I believe it may all stem from a push pin in the back inside of that housing stuck in. I tried oiling it and tapping on it but no success. Best to replace it for $33 bucks.

Didn't see your model No. posted , your part no. is W10121140, Google it and 1 online place has it for $38, Amazon doesn't have it.

1 more thing...Here is a youtube vid on replacing the valve to show you how those water tubings are removed incase you aren't familiar as I wasn't. If the link don't work simply push the collar in at connections and pull tubing out or put into filter housing or the valve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGe_VUDIBA
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply