Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
benh09  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:03:39 PM(UTC)
benh09

Groups: Registered

I can't seem to find anything with the model # that I found in the frig. It is a Kenmore Coldspot side by side.

I had a repairman come today and he changed out the relay and said that it should be good. Now it is about 8 hours later and it still isn't cooling. The compressor clicks but it has clicked several times but still nothing. The compressor gets warm... Does this sound like the compressor is out? If it may be the compressor does anyone know where I can purchase one? I priced fridges at Lowes and WOW!!!!

Thanks,
Ben
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:48:45 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If it worked briefly, then failed, you probably have a burnt start winding in the compressor. It may not be worth fixing depending on the age of the unit, between $400 and $600 to replace a compressor.
benh09  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:50:31 AM(UTC)
benh09

The compressor starts to come on then cuts off in less than 30 seconds.

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
If it worked briefly, then failed, you probably have a burnt start winding in the compressor. It may not be worth fixing depending on the age of the unit, between $400 and $600 to replace a compressor.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:53:56 AM(UTC)
richappy

You have varnish buidup in the compressor. They sell a Supco 88 solvent to fix this, but you will need sealed system work to put it in.
Did the service guy use the factory service part, or a universal replacement. Verify he wired in the run capacitor, a black part that plugs into the compressor start device.
benh09  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:35:54 AM(UTC)
benh09

I believe he used a universal start up relay. He connected the white, red, and black to the compressor. He connected the black and red to the 2 top posts and the white to the bottom post. I think someone had replaced the relay before because there was a white wire and I believe a green or black wire that came from somewhere behind the compressor that they had poorly spliced into the white wire and red wire if the old relay. I called and a new compressor is about $260. Is this something a do-it-yourselfer could install? Would the copper need to be sweated in?

Thanks,
Ben
benh09  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:37:00 AM(UTC)
benh09

Rich,

How is the sealed system work performed? Is it something a DIYer can do?
richappy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:19:37 PM(UTC)
richappy

The universal start device I use when I don't have the right one is a URO41. The red wire goes to the run winding, the black one to common, and the white to the start winding. He may have wired it up wrong. The run capacitor MUST be wired between the start and run pins on the compressor IF the fridg. has one, sometimes they don't. If he failed to wire in the run capacitor, the compressor may overheat and shut down.
The pros. charge about $400 to $600 to put a compressor in, your fridg may not be worth it.
When a compressor is replaced special vacuum pump is needed plus a new dryer and refrigerant that requires a lisence to buy.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply