Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
amears  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:44:04 AM(UTC)
amears

Groups: Registered

I have an Amana top freezer that is probably 20 years old. The temp in the freezer stays around 14 degrees and the frig about 38 degrees with both the refrigerator and freezer temperature controls set to 1.

Initial Problem: Water leaked from freezer to frig. after going on vacation for a week. Discovered that the freezer drain was freezing up. A parts store told me about a freezer drain repair kit. It was about $100 and looked like it was just some thin foam insulation to add to the back compartment panel. I installed foam art board on the inside and outside of the back panel to insulate the cooling coils from the freezer compartment. This seemed to work well for several months.

Second problem: refrigerator compartment below 32 degrees even with temperature control set to minimum (one position). I replaced the damper control that controls the air flow from the freezer to the frig. This worked well.

Current Problem: water drips from freezer into frig compartment again.

Should I replace the main thermostat? If so, then how do you get the sensor threaded to the old position?

Is there something more in the freezer drain kit that is not obvious? Should I just spend the bucks for the official kit?

Thanks so much for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.