Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aramakg  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 6:28:00 AM(UTC)
aramakg

Groups: Registered

I just bought a house and the refrigerator that came with the deal is a Samsung. After about 3 weeks the refrigerator compartment started freezing the food inside it. It has digital display on the outside between the frigerator and freezer with button temperature controls.I tried unpluging the refrigerator over night and that did not help. I set the temperature of the refrigerator at 40 and the freezer at pulse 4 degrees. I have tried setting the tempuratures at many tempuratures but the refrigerator keeps freezing up. Also, the digital reading on the display is does not seem correct. Please any repair ideas would be appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 7:29:25 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

You have a bad damper control, or a stuck (frozen or obstructed) damper.
aramakg  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 7:59:27 AM(UTC)
aramakg

OK, how do I go about fixing it?
magician59  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 8:43:36 AM(UTC)
magician59

Couldn't tell from the drawings. The only visible board of any kind appears to be located in the rear, near the compressor, probably along the right side as you face the compartment. The damper itself will be between the freezer and refrigerator sections. If it's a motorized damper, you'll need further diagnostics to determine whether it's the motor or the board.
aramakg  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 8:52:39 AM(UTC)
aramakg

Thank you. There is the digital display with the tempurature control button on the front of the refrigerator between the freezer and the refrigerator compartments. It is easy to remove with just 2 screws. Would it be worth replacing it? Thanks again.
magician59  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 9:35:01 AM(UTC)
magician59

That could be exactly where the damper control is. It's a gamble at this point. If you can expose the damper motor and apply a test voltage to it, you may have a more informed choice. You'll need to access the schematic to see whether it works on high voltage, or low.
aramakg  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 2:10:06 PM(UTC)
aramakg

this refrigerator has the twin cooling system. will it still have a damper?
magician59  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 2:22:27 PM(UTC)
magician59

No wonder the drawings were confusing...I had only seen this in Sub Zero units. Let's start over: You say the refrigerator freezes. You'll need to remove the panel in the rear, inside the refrigerator, to expose its evaporator. Is it covered with snow-like frost?
aramakg  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:31:29 AM(UTC)
aramakg

Thanks for sticking with me. This is so fustrating. I did open up the rear compartment behind the freezer. The freezer is on the bottom. I vacumed out any dust in the compartment and on the coils. There was very little dust. It is only around 2 years old but not under warranty anymore. To answer your question there was no frost around the evaporators. There is 2 of them. I hope I am seeing the right part. They are 2 black coil units. On one end was the condenser. then the fan. and then the 2 black evaporators. There was no frost in the compartment. Thanks. I have been struggleing with this for about 2 weeks.
magician59  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:33:23 AM(UTC)
magician59

If there are two separate systems (one for the freezer, and one for the refrigerator), there will be TWO compressors. If your unit only has one compressor, the evaporator for that unit is INSIDE the freezer, covered by a rear panel. If your unit has two compressors, the evaporator for the refrigerator is INSIDE the refrigerator, also covered by a rear panel. The evaporator is (usually) Aluminum. That's the coil I want you to look at. In normal operation, there is a uniform frost coating over the entire coil. In a faulty defrost situation, you will generally see a very heavy snow-like frost build-up all over the coil, and sometimes enough to make the rear panel bulge inward (toward the food).
CAPITALIZATION is for emphasis only...I'm not shouting.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply