Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
twfromindy  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 8:04:40 AM(UTC)
twfromindy

Groups: Registered

My icemaker has stopped working and I'm not sure where to start. The fridge was in a house I purchased 6 months ago and I do not know any history prior to this. The icemaker stopped working a month or so after moving in. I replaced the water filter (just assuming it would need it anyway) and it still did not work. I checked the lights and they were blinking or solid as they should be. I don't remember doing anything else, but the icemaker started working fine then. A couple of days ago it stopped again. I checked and there was an ice cube "stuck" (which has happened on occasion). I removed the ice cube and it still doesn't work. I removed 3 screws and attempted to remove the icemaker, but wasn't able to unplug the wiring. Any suggestions as to what I should check or do next?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jerry / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 8:38:22 AM(UTC)
mattt

Groups: Guests

Hello. You said you found an ice cube stuck. Was the cube that was stuck normal in size or a really small cube? If the cube was small, I suspect you either have a water pressure issue or a failing water inlet valve [AP5263472]. If your water dispense is trickling the water out, your problem might be as simple as changing the water filter [AP3182816]. It might be a self tapping saddle valve stopping up. To determine if it's the units' fault or the water pressure, The quickest way is to pull the unit out and check the water pressure out of the water line that connects to the unit. If water pressure is good there, and the water filter is known good, Change the water inlet valve [AP5263472]. I hope this was useful information. Have a great day!
twfromindy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:43:30 AM(UTC)
twfromindy

I received the water inlet valve and replaced the part. The instructions states that I need to "cycle the ice maker" and I don't know how to do this.

Thank you.
Jerry / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:03:44 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello. Remove the white cover on the front of the icemaker. Now you need a piece of insulated wire at least 3 inches long with the ends stripped. Stick the ends of the wire in the "T" and "H" terminals respectively remembering that you are jumping 120Vac across the icemakers' thermostat, (DON"T GET SHOCKED!) The wire has to stay in place until you hear a very low click (this is the points making to complete the cycle)(about 30 seconds is sufficient and the wire can be removed). Note: If you leave the wire in it will cycle again and overfill the ice maker. The ice maker should continue with its' cycle on its' own at this point. After nearly a complete revolution, the icemaker should energize the water valve and fill with 130CC of water (aproximately 7 to 7.5 seconds of water fill). I hope this helps and have a great day!
twfromindy  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 9:05:24 AM(UTC)
twfromindy

I tried jumping the "T" and "H" terminals and nothing happened. Based upon some other posts, I manually put some water in the ice pan and it did freeze and eject out. What should I test next?
Jerry / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 11:20:44 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello. Let's back up a minute. When you force a cycle of the ice maker, you have to tape the door switch down and it's recommended to bypass the optics so it will get power so it can cycle. To bypass the optics, remove the cover screws where the red light flashes (three of them, heads painted white). Remembering that the board has 120Vac riding on it, (Don't get shocked!), remove the board by unplugging the molex connector to it. The optics are then bypassed by jumping terminals 3 and 4 in the connector you just removed from the board (These two wires are of the same color). (I use a paperclip wrapped with electrical tape). Then you use the wire to jump the ice maker thermostat from "T" to "H". This should initiate a cycle. Let me know what results this produces. I hope this helps you solve your problem! Have a great day!
twfromindy  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 9:01:43 PM(UTC)
twfromindy

Ok, I taped the door switch down, removed the optics board, used a paperclip and jumped terminals 3 and 4 and the wire to jump "T" and "H." I still didn't hear any "click" and no water came out.

Thank you for all of your help.
Jerry / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:58:48 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello. If the ice maker still didn't cycle, I suspect the ice maker is failing. With 120Vac to the ice maker, it should have cycled. At this point I would replace the ice maker. To get it out, take the white cover off of the front of the ice maker and remove the screws so it is hanging there by the wires. Then, on the side of the ice maker that the wires go into, take a small screwdriver and depress the little white tab,(locking tab for the harness), and pull on the wiring harness. The molex connector should slide right out of the ice maker. I believe this should take care of it as you have already replaced the water valve. I hope this was informative and solves your issue! Have a great day!
twfromindy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:32:02 PM(UTC)
twfromindy

I ordered the ice maker and I'm just waiting for it. I tracked the order and FedEx said they delivered it today, but I was home all day and actually in the yard at the time they "delivered" the part. So, hopefully they can find out where they really left it and deliver to me tomorrow so I can try and fix my icemaker!
twfromindy  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 4:58:15 PM(UTC)
twfromindy

I ordered the icemaker on the 13th and it was shipped same day. FedEx delivered it somewhere (not to my address) and I contacted Appliance Parts Pro. on the 14th. I was told they would ship another one on the 15th. This didn't happen. Contacted Appliance Parts Pro again on the 16th and was told that the warehouse still hadn't shipped it and it would be Monday the 19th before it could be shipped. NOT HAPPY!!!! I will be ordering the part from another company with similar pricing...I would actually pay more to a company that follows through on what they advertise and promise! By the way, the part was "In Stock" each day.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply