Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NHart  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2009 3:13:11 PM(UTC)
NHart

Groups: Registered

This is a Sub-Zero style K/A and seems to have a freon leak, which I can not find. Nothing shows up in the drain pan or other accessible areas.

Has anyone worked on one of these and found a leak problem?

Periphery heater??

Thanks.

Neil
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2009 4:29:38 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Describe the symptom(s) that led you to the conclusion there's a leak.
NHart  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 7:29:24 AM(UTC)
NHart

The unit was not cooling properly with all components working correctly. I installed an access valve and it was running in a vacuum on the low side. When 134 freon was added to 2 pounds pressure low side it started cooling immediately.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:52:37 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can inject flourescent die in the system and check for a leak. You will need to buy the flourescent lamp. Usually, if the system leaked out fast, I conclude the evaporator developed a leak. If the refrigerant is traveling through the system with an ocasional noise and low side gauge slight movement, the compressor has sucked in air due to the evaporator leak.
Historically, this kind of bad leak is usually caused by moisture induced corrosion creating a pin hole in the evaporator line, usually not fixable. If you recharge the system partially you may be able to see the leak in the evaporator. It will show up as a frost spot at the leak.
Also, this kind of leak can be detected with simple soapy water.
I see in the Mc Combs catalog, they sell a "Super seal total 971 kit" that will seal micron leaks, eliminate moisture, prevent formation of acid and contains a tracer UV dye that allows location of larger leaks.
However, nobody knows anything about it. Will look for info on it.
Update, bad news, after reading an article on "FIXYA" this stuff will fix micron leaks ok BUT not a bad leak like yours. Also, users say it is NOT a permanent fix, unit will eventually start leaking again!!
magician59  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:29:00 PM(UTC)
magician59

That stuff kinda reminds me of that granulated stuff we used to put into our radiators to stop leaks...seldom worked. Consider that the service valve itself can be the source of the leak.
NHart  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 6:30:20 AM(UTC)
NHart

I am sure it isn't the access valve as I had just installed it to check the freon levels and I also checked it for leaks after I had added freon and resealed the system. The reason I feel it may be on the high side is, after adding freon, the low side sat very at very consistant 2 pounds pressure and I had a consistant boil-off in the evaporater. I have used the stop-leak in the past and am not totally sold on it, however in this case it may be the best solution.

My concern is does one use it in a home in the 2.5 million dollar range.:confused:

Neil
magician59  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 7:04:58 AM(UTC)
magician59

Originally Posted by: NHart Go to Quoted Post

My concern is does one use it in a home in the 2.5 million dollar range.:confused:

Neil

I thought we were talking about a refrigerator. And who ever heard of a $2.5M range?
Seriously, though, You do what reinforces the professional image of you in your customers' eyes. You want THAT kind of customer to keep calling you back because you solved their problem, NOT because your repair failed.
richappy  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 7:50:49 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is a call out to anyone who used this fixaflat kinda sealer, just want to know if the stuff works or not.
magician59  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 8:32:19 AM(UTC)
magician59

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
This is a call out to anyone who used this fixaflat kinda sealer, just want to know if the stuff works or not.

Fix-A-Flat works--ON TIRES--not on a refrigerator. You introduce that stuff into a sealed system, and you'll be buying a new refrigerator. BTW: It won't work if the hole in the tire is in the sidewall.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply