Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trogers2000  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:30:08 PM(UTC)
trogers2000

Groups: Registered

This is a second refrigerator that I don't use every day. About 3 weeks ago, I opened the refrigerator and the inside was warm. It's about 11.5 years old so I thought it was the compressor. I manipulated the temperature controls, choosing a colder setting, and the compressor seemingly kicked on and cool air started pumping into the unit. I checked it daily for about 1.5 weeks and it was working just fine. I checked it again about a week ago and it was warm again. This time I adjusted the temp controls for a warmer setting and the compressor kicked on again. It's stopped a couple of times since then, and I can always restart it. I noticed today when I jarred the refrigerator it started as well.

For clarification, when the fridge stops working as I've described, both the refrigerator and freezer sections are warm. When I manipulate the temp controls to get it working again, both sections get cold and work (i.e. items in the freezer will freeze again).

I assume there is some sort of regulator thermostat that could be defective and am wondering if it is something I can order and install myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:03:56 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hello.

When you open the doors does the fan inside the freezer run?

Post the result.
trogers2000  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:22:28 PM(UTC)
trogers2000

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hello.

When you open the doors does the fan inside the freezer run?

Post the result.

When I find the refrigerator in the state where the inside is warm, it is completely silent. Meaning there are no fans running and nothing else running/moving that I can hear. The light comes on though.

As I stated earlier, I did kind of bump it (accidentally) the last time I found it in this state and that seemed to also kick the fan and compressor back on.

For what it is worth, when I read your question just now, I decided to go open the freezer door to see what I heard. I first noticed some of the frozen liquid items were starting to melt and the fan kicked on as soon as I opened the door. So I may have just caught it in the early stages of not cooling. It could be coincidence that the fan came on when I opened it, or because I opened the freezer door or because the refrigerator did move when I opened the door.

Although I am 95% sure the freezer has been silent (i.e. no fan) every single time when I've opened the freezer door when I find the refrigerator in the warm state. I am 100% sure that was the case the first time I found it in this state. Nothing kicked on until I manipulated the temperature controls.

Is this helpful at all?
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 10:34:10 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

From the information you are providing most likely the problem is - bad cold control. It's located inside the control panel in the refrigerator side.

The cold control Part number: AP3037004
trogers2000  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 3:34:58 PM(UTC)
trogers2000

I've reviewed the diagram, but it is difficult to gauge the complexity of replacing this part. Can you rate the complexity? I am moderately comfortable taking devices apart. So you can factor that into your rating.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 4:06:51 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.
It's fairly easy job. You need flat screw driver, 1/4" nut driver and very basic skills.

Good luck.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply