Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cduced  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:55:10 AM(UTC)
cduced

Groups: Registered

This has happened twice now. Not sure what is going on. Fridge is working fine and then we wake up in the AM and it has shut itself off. The display for the
fridge and the freezer in the fridge compartment both say off. The controls don't seem to work at all. Tried to 'reboot' by cycling the power at the breaker and that didn't change things.

Last time we called a repair guy who came two days later, pushed the buttons on the display and it worked fine for him :confused: ? What the heck? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? The Model number is Model JFC2089HTB Jenn Air/Maytag.

If it needs a new controller board, what will that cost approximately? Thanks.

-- Bud
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jerry / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:55:21 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello. I have seen the problem you described at least twice. The issue is caused by a power supply issue from the PCB located in the machine compartment (in the back in the compressor compartment). As I recall, the control board in the top of the fresh food compartment had been changed by another technician a couple of times and the problem kept reoccurring. The manufacturers' technical assistance line kept telling the repair technician he wasn't programming the control correctly. When I went out, the unit was actually turning itself on and off and periodically dumping ice in the floor through the door. Changing the main PCB corrected the problem permanently. The only other thing that would affect this main board, (which should be checked before changing the board), is the neutral and ground at the wall receptacle cannot be crossed. You see, the ground has no voltage on it at all and the neutral has a floating "ghost voltage" on it. (1 to 3 Vac). This "ghost voltage" confuses the microprocessor on the board, making it think it's receiving a command when in fact it is not. One of the 2 times I've seen this issue, it took no parts to repair. It just took an electrician to swap the ground and neutral at the wall receptacle and the unit stopped turning on and off. One other thing I should mention is the line the wall receptacle it is on should not be shared with any receptacle used with an appliance that might put a "noise" in the line.(i.e. an appliance with a thermostat like a coffee maker). If you turn off the breaker and the coffee maker goes off, the coffee maker is probably putting a "noise" in the line that the electronic control is interpreting as a command. If you find this is the issue, move the coffee maker to another receptacle and try that before any part replacement. As far as the parts go, there are 2 controls listed, determined by the series of your appliance. (Meaning: the first 2 digits of your units serial number denotes the series). If you do require a PCB replacement, be aware that the series will determine the correct board and the wrong board installed may cause more control component failures. I hope this was all useful information. Have a great day!
cduced  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:27:25 AM(UTC)
cduced

Thank you for the info! Will try a few things out...

-- Bud
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply