Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scotty562  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 4:36:40 AM(UTC)
scotty562

Groups: Registered

It's a 24 cubic foot or so stand up freezer. I bought it locally from a guy who swore up and down that it worked fine and it never had any issues.

2 days after I got it, it stopped freezing. I had a guy come look at it and he said it's been tampered with in the past (it has one of those fitting put on that you can add coolant).

So what happens is it will run for a little bit and then for about 5 seconds it will act as if it's working a little harder. A relay or something also clicks around this time. The compressor never turns on.

I ordered a replacement defroster timer, but that didn't help either.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:06:59 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scotty562 Go to Quoted Post
It's a 24 cubic foot or so stand up freezer. I bought it locally from a guy who swore up and down that it worked fine and it never had any issues.

2 days after I got it, it stopped freezing. I had a guy come look at it and he said it's been tampered with in the past (it has one of those fitting put on that you can add coolant).

So what happens is it will run for a little bit and then for about 5 seconds it will act as if it's working a little harder. A relay or something also clicks around this time. The compressor never turns on.

I ordered a replacement defroster timer, but that didn't help either.

Scotty, It's not the defrost timer. You may have a faulty overload/relay assembly

Part number: AP3873993
Part number: AP3873993
(example only)

or a sealed system issue( restriction or faulty compressor) You most likely don't have the necessary tools or certificates to repair a system issue, and may need a servicer to assist you.

Thanks and Good Luck,

:) :) :)
richappy  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:23:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If the compressor is running, the compressor will vibrate and the condenser coils will get warm. If the compressor then stops running, you have a bad compressor that starts to draw high current, then shuts down on it's overload.A new start device will not help
If you transported it on it's side, you may have a clogged capillary tube that can be repaired, but if you run it for a long time you will damage the compressor.
scotty562  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:50:00 AM(UTC)
scotty562

Thanks guys. It was transported on its side. The guy who I bought it off put it on the bed of a truck. The compressor doesn't run at all. It just clicks when the compressor should come on.

It's still under warranty, but the guy before me put a tap thing in it that lets you add freon. I'll look into the capillary tube suggestion.
scotty562  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 9:21:06 AM(UTC)
scotty562

Also, Joe, that part you mentioned is for Whirlpool devices? Mine is a Frigidaire. Will it still work?
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 10:06:13 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scotty562 Go to Quoted Post
Also, Joe, that part you mentioned is for Whirlpool devices? Mine is a Frigidaire. Will it still work?

Scotty,

I loaded it into the response, for the picture, (example only) so you'd have an idea of what you're looking for, You didn't have a model number listed or attached to your post.

Based on your last post, I think you or the seller, may have restricted the system. Let's hope not.
( I guess Rick may have coverred that with you).

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply