Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
levys  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 12:08:13 PM(UTC)
levys

Groups: Registered

I first replaced the ice maker control module in December of 2011. It made ice for approximately 1 month perfectly but then stopped. I installed the 2nd module in mid-january, 2012 and it did the same, making ice for about a month. Each time it stopped the sound from the module was like it wanted to operate, grinding to try to turn but couldn't. I'm figuring there is an electrical short somewhere that is burning out these motors. Any suggestions on where to start? Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jerry / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:32:07 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello. I don't think your motors are burning out because then they wouldn't make a noise at all. My guess is that the freezer is probably running below zero and this is causing a hard harvest. This will cause one of the two tabs at the center of the timing wheel on the front of the module to break and throw the ice maker out of time. This is a big issue because if the ice maker is out of time, it will not only cause no ice production, but it can get stuck in a position that fill with water and can't advance. If this happens while your not home, you could return home to find a flood. If the contacts on the module are burning, you may want to replace the water valve to prevent the module form being damaged again. Hope this was helpful!
levys  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:06:02 PM(UTC)
levys

Ok, I think I understand from what you are saying that there are two possibilities: 1. freezer too cold and 2. a defective water valve. The first one breaks tabs and the second one burns contacts. Well, after examining the 1st module I replaced (and saved) and checking freezer temperature it is not #1. But I did observe a burned contact, which I hope is apparent in the attached photo. [Nope photo too big to upload] ... So what you are saying is that this burned contact is caused by a bad water inlet valve which I need to replace along with another module? Is the water valve you are referring to part # AP3160649 (4389177)?
Jerry / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 5:00:51 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello. The part number I show for your model is [AP5263471]. Hope this solves your issue! Have a great day!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply