Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
largefry  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:00:37 AM(UTC)
largefry

Groups: Registered

lost all cooling and freezer food about a week ago. Unfortunately this is the third time this has happened. Last 2 times main circuit board in back lower left had to be replaced.I have now replaced main circuit board and Start relay. parts shop said run/overload capacitor that plugs into start relay checked out ok (tested it). Have lights in frig and freezer,and inside control panel works and lights up. condensor fan and freezer fan also working. Compessor still making humming noise when I plug it in. What is the process of checking compressor with oem meter or should i look towards something else?

thanks jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

largefry  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 9:59:50 AM(UTC)
largefry

Originally Posted by: largefry Go to Quoted Post
lost all cooling and freezer food about a week ago. Unfortunately this is the third time this has happened. Last 2 times main circuit board in back lower left had to be replaced.I have now replaced main circuit board and Start relay. parts shop said run/overload capacitor that plugs into start relay checked out ok (tested it). Have lights in frig and freezer,and inside control panel works and lights up. condensor fan and freezer fan also working. Compessor still making humming noise when I plug it in. What is the process of checking compressor with oem meter or should i look towards something else?

thanks jim

Additional Update: I also completed OEM test on compressor yesterday, S&C 6.3 R&C 3.3 and S&R 9.6. Ground to 3 compressor terminals read O-line. Local guy advised to remove freezer panel next, determine if refrigerant is going throughs coils. Any help on next steps would be appreciated
richappy  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 3:48:36 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your compressor must be vibrating and the condenser warm. I would try a new start device AP3962960, just make sure you note where the wires go.
Also, put a surge protector in the wall outlet Belkin F9H120-CW available on Amazon.
largefry  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:41:25 AM(UTC)
largefry

I already replaced the start relay, FSP part from local parts place versus enricho you provided in reply? Any reason why I would need to try this one? Capacitor that attaches to this part was also tested with meter and checks out ok. I will double check wiring into this but believe it only has retaining clip on one side which is where I re-installed it.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:49:14 AM(UTC)
richappy

Your compressor may have a blown open start winding, should try to start with a good start device and proper wiring.
largefry  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:00:42 PM(UTC)
largefry

Home now, I replaced start device with FSP part number 2319792 from whirpool and see the part you directed to me is enricho which matches what i took off. I will happily order this part if you believe it will make a difference versus what I have already installed., I have a digital multi meter and can perform OHM or contuinuity check. I thought by measuring start & common, run and common, and then start and run like I provided in original post would confirm compressor ok? Any way to confirm a blown open start winding on compressor? I have $300. invested and really can't afford a new beast in this economy but realize if compressor is shot or somehow closed system is no longer closed I am dead in the water.Local parts guy in town who I respect told me next step is to remove freezer cover, plug in and feel evaporator to see is being pumped through. I thank you for your time first. and appreciate your thoughts on what i should do next.

JIm
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:22:47 AM(UTC)
richappy

If you can feal the compressor vibrating, it's running, but either out of refrigerant, or failing to pump the refrigerant.
largefry  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:47:25 AM(UTC)
largefry

Thank you. PS Go Nittany Lions! transplanted northern here in Florida and gator and Penn state fan.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:00:41 AM(UTC)
richappy

Wow, you checked my bio. Thanks for the complement, us PSU graduates get the best jobs, I hope it's true for you. If you come to Beaver stadium, will give you a free hot dog, I manage stand 7 by gate B, Knights of Columbus.
On your fridg, if you feal the compressor, it should be vibrating, if so, fridg is probably not worth fixing.
On a positive note, maybe you will find something else wrong. If the compressor is hot and the current draw well below .5 amp, you might have a clogged capillary, ran across 3 like that, turns out they stuck the cap tube too far into the dryer and compressor oil clogged it. I was able to fix one at a cost of $100, but the compressor had some damage, yet still performed resonably well.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply