Discuss

Need help with GE mini fridge

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Hi everyone, just looking for some help with a GE mini fridge I had picked up from the girlfriends work;

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Need help with GE mini fridge

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 PM

Feanux is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Need help with GE mini fridge
Brand: -brand-   Age: Less than 1 year   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Hi everyone, just looking for some help with a GE mini fridge I had picked up from the girlfriends work; it stopped getting cold so they decided to trash it, I offered to take it to see what I could do with it.

And that's where my lack of knowledge comes in, and I ask the all knowing for help .

The model # is ax4dnybwh, its the "Y series" I believe.

I know it's kind of vague but if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Feanux

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 PM

applianceman is on a distinguished road

Turn it on and see if the compressor is running or not. If the compressor will not run there are two things that will most likely cause this, the start relay and the cold control. If the compressor tries to runs and then clicks off the start relay is most likely bad. If you donít hear any noise the cold control is most likely the problem.

If the compressor runs but it doesnít get cold you got a sealed system problem.

If the compressor runs and it seems to cool it may have just need defrosting.

Refrigerator repair guide
Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 PM

Feanux is on a distinguished road

When I turn it on, the compressor does kick on and it sounds like water trickling, but it just doesn't get cold. So according to your post, it's a sealed system problem.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:14 AM

Let it run a while to be sure but that is what I would say. Repairing a sealed system problem would be to costly for that small refrigerator.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:00 PM

jleonard711 is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is a few months old, but I'm having the exact same problem with my G.E. mini fridge. The other day I noticed that the fridge in my office was making clicking noises, so I opened it up and found that it was losing cold and everything in the freezer was melting. By the end of the day it was not cold at all any more. I unplugged it overnight and then plugged it back in the next day, thinking that might help, but it doesn't sound like the compressor is turning on at all. It makes a clicking sound ever few minutes and the compressor gets warm if I leave it plugged in for a while, but the compressor never fires up. Would this be a faulty compressor? Or could it mabe just be the compressor start relay? Is there any way I can test the compressor by bypassing the start relay?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM

It sounds like the start relay is bad. I donít recommend trying to by-pass the start relay. Unplug it and remove the cover off the side of the compressor. Once done you should see the start relay (it will be to black/brown device plugged into the two bottom compressor contacts). Pull the start relay off and shake it, if it rattles it is bad. If it doesnít you can be reasonably sure it is ok.

A bad compressor can cause the relay to go bad. But the best way to know for sure is to replace the relay. If the relay doesnít repair it, the compressor is bad.

I assume since it is a mini it doesnít have a fan by the compressor but if it does make sure it will run.

Refrigerator repair guide
Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 PM

thepirate is on a distinguished road

Mini refrigerators don't warrant fixing unless it's a quick process. Check the compressor and anything that's an easy fix. If it's more difficult then that, it's probably not worth the cost price wise.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.