Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschleicher  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:22:02 AM(UTC)
rschleicher

Groups: Registered

I think my ice dispenser auger motor is bad, but can't figure out how to access it for testing and/or replacement.

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side, with the in-door ice system, model GF6NFEXRQ00. In my searches on this forum, I found a post by Gene that included a link to Whirlpool service manual for the in-door ice system (document number R-92), which seems to mostly match what I have in my refrigerator.

However, this manual shows the access to the auger motor as being through a small access panel on the inside of the freezer door, basically underneath the ice dispenser area. But my model, which has the molded/curved doors, has no such access panel on the inside. The inside of the freezer door is one piece of plastic, from top to bottom. (Borne out by the parts diagram explosion, also from this site.)

My guess is that on my model you are supposed to access the auger motor by taking out the front dispenser panel, which runs the whole width of the freezer door.

The only screws I see to do this (or to start the process) are two that are under/behind the slide-out drip tray.

Can someone (Gene?) provide some guidance on:

1. Is this the method on this model for accessing the auger motor?
2. What are the tricks/tips for removing the dispenser front panel?
3. In addition to the in-door ice service manual R-92 that I already have, is there a model-specific service manual for my GF6NFEXRQ00?

My symptoms, BTW, are that the auger motor doesn't turn, whether in cube or crushed mode. But the switch pad seems to be working, as placing a glass to it causes the ice door to open up, etc. The unit is 3+ years old - a similar problem happened near the end of the 1-year warranty, and was addressed by Whirlpool service. My notes at that time indicate that they replaced a controller board and the auger motor. Apparently these are a little under-designed.... (We use the crushed ice setting most of the time, which probably doesn't help.) I pretty much know what voltage measurements to make/check if I can figure out how to get to the motor.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:19:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Quote:
...However, this manual shows the access to the auger motor as being through a small access panel on the inside of the freezer door, basically underneath the ice dispenser area. But my model, which has the molded/curved doors, has no such access panel on the inside. The inside of the freezer door is one piece of plastic, from top to bottom...

I never seen or heard about such design. I could not find any technical data as well. Maybe someone on the forum have more information.

Gene.
rschleicher  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:43:05 PM(UTC)
rschleicher

Gene,

Thanks for checking for me. In the meantime, I actually found the answer to my questions. Even though Whirlpool pub. R-92 describes the in-door ice system, there is a subsequent pub, R-101, that describes the "fast fill dispenser system", including both its water and ice dispensing functions. This one applies more directly to my model GF6NFEXR, with its curved/formed doors, etc. (Model was introduced around 2005, I think - mine was bought in mid-2006.)

To get at the ice auger motor on my model, you take off the front cover from the dispenser area, and behind the rubber-coated "switch pads" (and below the controller board) is the auger motor. The motor seems to be the same part as used in other in-door-ice systems. But since you remove it from the front, instead of from underneath (on the inside of the door), they have the motor screwed into a removable bracket, which in turn can be unscrewed from the front. In order to release the motor, you also need to pull the long hex-shaft out from the top, first.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:14:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Thank you for sharing this very useful information with us.

Good luck with your refrigerator.

Gene.
mgsoulak  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:46:09 AM(UTC)
mgsoulak

Hi,

I saw that you had figured out how to access the auger motor and referenced a document that explained how to get to it.

I would appreciate any info on how to get the front dispender plate off to access the housing for the auger motor.

Have spend days trying to figure out how to access that thing!

thank you! Mike
mgsoulak  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:52:12 AM(UTC)
mgsoulak

Originally Posted by: rschleicher Go to Quoted Post

To get at the ice auger motor on my model, you take off the front cover from the dispenser area, and behind the rubber-coated "switch pads" (and below the controller board) is the auger motor. .

How do I take off the front cover? thank you
Gene  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:56:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: mgsoulak Go to Quoted Post
How do I take off the front cover? thank you

The instructions are attached to the reply.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GS6NBEXRS01 Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
In-Door-Ice motor removal and testing.doc (1,008kb) downloaded 287 time(s).
Tom_Orlando_FL  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:20:39 AM(UTC)
Tom_Orlando_FL

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
The instructions are attached to the reply.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GS6NBEXRS01 Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

These instructions were perfect for my Whirlpool GD5NVAXSA01 Refrdigerator (different pad styles but inside exactly the same). I had same symptoms - auger not turning but switch and ice door were working. Removed and tested motor and it is bad (Ohm meter shows open between pins 1 and 2). About t oorder replacement. Hint - take a photo of the order of parts for the drive shaft so you remember when you reinstall. Your phone camera will come in handy.
ebrock3  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:04:44 AM(UTC)
ebrock3

You have to remove ice bin (first unplug fridge),close door remove slide out drip shield, remove 2 screws on bottom, remove panel-lift up to remove-,and unplug 2 connectors, lift up shield undo 4 screws holding motor frame and drop motor. when replacing motor slide auger into top of door housing by hand replace rubber shield on end of auger shaft leave about 1/2 " sticking out, now move the motor in place being sure the auger is on top of motor and secure mount. now open door and turn auger to fit into motor and reverse the procedure to finish.
Hope this helps.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply