Discuss

Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Originally Posted by Gene I do not think this model has ability to force defrost cycle. Gene. Hi Gene, Thanks

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 03:04 PM

labjr is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I do not think this model has ability to force defrost cycle.

Gene.

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the reply. I'd think GE would make some kind box which connects to a laptop to run the appliance through a complete diagnostic check and spit out error codes.

BTW I cut out the evaporator thermistor and put it in another freezer at -5 Degrees. At first it seemed to work normal and then it would measure about 1.5K ohms Now it's working again measures about 44K. Do these fail in such a way that they work intermittently?

Thanks again,

Larry

Last edited by labjr : 04-22-2010 at 03:06 PM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 04-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Larry,

This thermistor is definitely bad.

- The thermistor Part number: AP3185407

Part number: AP3185407

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 AM

InAZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Check the air return vent from the fresh food compartment into the freezer compartment, located to the left of the fresh produce drawer, for any blockage.

Gene.
I posted a question a few months ago about the freezer being too cold but the fridge temps being ok (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...wreply&p=11576 ) but due to health problems was not able to address the issue at the time. The suggestion was to check the thermostat and auto damper controls for my Maytag msd2756geb S/S.

Lately the fridge temps have been edging up to over 40. I followed the advice to check the vent and discovered it appears to be frozen over.

What should my next step be? Am I still looking at a thermostat and/or auto damper problem or is there something else at work? And how do I defrost the vent?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAZ View Post
...I followed the advice to check the vent and discovered it appears to be frozen over.

What should my next step be? Am I still looking at a thermostat and/or auto damper problem or is there something else at work? And how do I defrost the vent?
It happens pretty often, especially with Maytag refrigerators, when ambient temperature is high and refrigerator doors have been opened too often and/or kept open too long. Remove all frost with a hair dryer and be careful with the refrigerator doors.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 04-23-2010, 06:23 PM

I pulled the back off the freezer side and found iced over coils. Both the vent in the crisper section and the one on top (that the auto damper controls) were totally frosted over. I'm in the process of defrosting everything. The damper door was open, so I'm thinking that probably isn't a problem

The service manual for my model mentions a defrost timer and adaptive defrost control. I thought the defrost control took the place of the timer? I can't seem to find the timer.

Since the thermostat being defective (the freezer temps can never be brought above -25) seems to be an issue and maybe the defrost control, I'm hoping it's easy to test these parts, as I've never done any sort of electrical testing before.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

You are right - there is no defrost timer in this refrigerator.

Unfortunately there is no way to test the thermostat (temperature control) instrumentally as well as the adaptive defrost control in such situation. If you could not adjust the temperature, the temperature control is definitely bad.

The defrost system failure has to be diagnosed.

If you need the correct part number for the thermostat, post the serial number of the refrigerator.

Gene.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 PM

SN# 10324967zb

If the thermostat is bad and the freezer temps dropped very low (-20 to -30), could that cause the frost buildup? Would it be advisable to replace the thermostat first then monitor things?

We purchased the fridge used late last year (so I have no problem tinkering with it) and it worked like a champ for several months. The only problem we've had was the extremely low, uncontrollable freezer temps that have pretty much been an issue since we bought it. The fridge temps crept up only recently, over a period of a few months.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

I would replace the thermostat, defrost everything and monitor it.

- The thermostat Part number: AP4070298

Part number: AP4070298

Gene.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM

bigred62806 is on a distinguished road

rs267lash samsung keeps freezing up on ref side freezer ok.
heater tests 85 ohms on the meter
the
Thermistor (Thermistor frig) tested 5k room temp 13k in ice water

Thermistor (Frig/evaporator) tested 0 and on contunity setting on the multi meter it tested open

are all of theas readings right? or is the thermistor on the evaporator coil bad?
and if all 3 are good it means the board is bad right?

this is the one i am wondering if its bad Part Number: AP4136048
Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Gene, thank you very much for your assistance
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.