Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<1617181920>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mposz  
#171 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:24:08 PM(UTC)
mposz

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore Model# 59669147991. About a month ago the Fridge stopped working. After reading many post online, I unplugged it for 24 hours and then plugged it back in. It worked for about 2 weeks, then stopped again. I started looking into it again, and unplugged it again. It worked again for about 2 weeks, then stopped cooling again. Looking into things again I noticed that when the Freezer is open it would blow cool air, and when I would close the freezer door it stops. So, what I had read was to check the air return behind the crisper, and it appeared to be frosted over, and not letting air circulate. I feed a wire down and poked it through the frost ad I could feel air starting to come through. I poured some hot water down to help thaw, and used a hair dryer to help. Tonight it stopped blowing again so there is something not defrosting I assume. Any help on where to go from here would be great. I had read a bunch about a defrost board being bad, so I called a local parts place. My wife went there and they sold her one, but I am not sure it even goes to this fridge since it has a timer.

Mike
Gene  
#172 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:46:54 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mposz Go to Quoted Post
...I unplugged it for 24 hours and then plugged it back in. It worked for about 2 weeks, then stopped again...

Hi Mike,

Did you see frost on the rear panel in the freezer at this time?

If you did, then return to the first page of this thread and perform the troubleshooting starting from the step 4. Post the results.

Gene.
P.S. You were right - there is no electronic defrost boards in your refrigerator. Just a simple defrost timer on the bottom (behind the bottom grille).
mposz  
#173 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 12:18:35 AM(UTC)
mposz

Gene,
Yes there was some frost. I unplugged it yesterday morning and let it sit all day. Last night when I took the back panel out of the freezer, there was still a small chunk of ice hanging in the coil. I took a hair dryer out and defrosted it the rest of the way and plugged it back in last night. When I get home in the morning I am going to test the timer to make sure it is working, and check to see if I can see the coil glowing or not, then I will re-post with the result.

Thanks.
Mike
carlinecoone  
#174 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 1:44:35 AM(UTC)
carlinecoone

refrige not cold much i defosted it now the ice maker has no ice coils in freezes is iced over fan works whereis the defrost timer i have on diagrams
carlinecoone  
#175 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 1:52:48 AM(UTC)
carlinecoone

Originally Posted by: carlinecoone Go to Quoted Post
refrige not cold much i defosted it now the ice maker has no ice coils in freezes is iced over fan works where is the defrost timer i have on diagrams
frigdaireglhs66ee not 2yrs old yet
Gene  
#176 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 11:36:37 AM(UTC)
Gene

Mike,

In order to have the defrost circuit closed, the defrost thermostat must be cold.

Gene.
Gene  
#177 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 11:39:00 AM(UTC)
Gene

carlinecoone,

What is the temperature in the freezer?

Gene.
mposz  
#178 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 6:30:29 PM(UTC)
mposz

Gene,

I let it run until this morning then I marked it position of the timer. I checked it earlier this evening and it had almost made a full turn, so it appears to be working fine. I then turned the timer until it clicked and the freezer stopped, which should have put it into defrost mode correct? I waited about 20 minutes then opened the door and checked inside. I did not hear any sizzling noise, or seee any glowing of the heating element. Would that point to one or the other parts? or do I need to check both of them to see which one is acting up?

Thanks again,
Mike
Gene  
#179 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 9:51:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Mike,

You are on the right track. Next step is to remove the rear panel in the freezer and check the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat for continuity. One of these parts is bad.

Gene.
mposz  
#180 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:11:39 AM(UTC)
mposz

Gene,

I did not get a diagram when I put in me model number in the search box. How can I determine which wires to check for the defrost heater? or can you lead me to a diagram for my fridge. It is a Kenmore model #596.69147991

Thanks again,
Mike
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply