Discuss

Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Hi Brac, Make sure there is nothing which can block the damper gate. Check the window between the freezer and

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Hi Brac,

Make sure there is nothing which can block the damper gate. Check the window between the freezer and fresh food where the air goes through.

Double check all connections inside the control box.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneL56 View Post
...I took off the back panel of the freezer and no frost/ice is present...

...I located the damper door in the frige portion and it was shut tight so i manually pried it up a little and stuck a popsickle stick in the opening to keep it open a bit. that seems to help the cooling in the frige somewhat...

...while closely observing the damper door, i turned the freezer thermostat down to "1", and the damper door opened...
Hi GeneL,

If the evaporator coils are clean with no snow/frost, it is a sign of a problem with the sealed system. It can be low on Freon or the compressor is not pumping as it should.

The controls in your refrigerator consists of the thermostat (refrigerator control) which reads and controls temperature in the fresh food compartment and the damper (freezer control) which operates the cold air flow from the freezer into the fresh food. So, when you adjust the freezer temperature, you actually regulate the cold air flow. If you set it to colder, you actually closing the damper to keep more cold air in the freezer.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM

GeneL56 is on a distinguished road

Gene, for the last 7 hours, I have had the refrig themostat set on "5", the coldest setting and the freezer control set on the lowest setting but the refrigerator will not cool below 45 degrees.The compressor (?) shuts off periodically even though the desired coldness has not been achieved. My refrigerator is 7 years old. Based on your expert advice/diagnosis I think it is time for new refrigerator. Thank you very much !
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM

Hi Gene, this morning, the refrigerator was at 45 degrees and the freezer was at 38 degrees. the compressor was not running. the refrigerator thermostat was set at the highest setting, "5" and the freezer setting was at the lowest "1". I turned the frig themostat to "off" then back "on" again to "5" and the compressor immediately turned "on". In 30 minutes the refrigerator was down to 32 degrees and the freezer was at 20 degrees. Is this scenario symptomatic of low freon or a bad compressor or is the problem perhaps with my thermostat? Thanks again. GeneL56
Old 05-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Hi GeneL56,

Per the last information you provided, it is possible that the problem is a bad thermostat or a bad adaptive defrost control board.

Next time the compressor would not run with insufficient temperatures, try to tap the thermostat knob. If the compressor will start, replace the thermostat. Otherwise replace the ADC board (inside the control box).

- The thermostat Part number: 2210491

Part number: 2210491

- The ADC board Part number: 2304099

Part number: 2304099

Gene.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Hi Gene, If I monkey with the refrigerator thermostat knob, I CAN get the compressor to run. I'm going to replace the thermostat. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem. Thanks again for continued assistance !
GeneL56
Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 AM

Brac is on a distinguished road

Gene,
Here is the full update. I had received the control box and installed it, (as mentioned earlier) and with the control set at at the warmest setting the fridge stayed at or below 30 degrees. I checked everything and it was all as it should be, so I called and told them they must have sent me a bad unit. I now have the second unit installed and am having a similar issue, I am now at the warmest setting and again at 30 degrees.
When I had the original part in I could reach in and smack the control box, and the dampner would then close, so I had figured that the original problem was with the dampner. So while I was waiting for the replacement unit to arrive, I installed a new dampner motor and actuator (the cylinder thing that turns) thinking that would solve the issue. It didn't and with the old box/new dampner I still had a sticking open issue. Not sure what to do next.
Thanks
Brac
Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Hi Brac,

This situation is very strange and I'm not sure what to do next. I've posted this on our tech talk board and hopefully someone else will get back with better solution. I'll keep you informed.

Gene.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a splendid one to behold

For Brac;
Seems like a wire problem. I would take each connector apart and spray with a non-resdue contact cleaner and also look for a bad pin on all the connectors.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:59 AM

Brac is on a distinguished road

I hag thought that the dials were "off" at zero, but this must not be the case. For the last 36 hours I have had good temps in both boxes, however the freezer control is set between 0 and 1, and the fridge control is at "0". Of course as of now I have a control box that cost $208.00 (don't know that this did anything for me?)
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.