Discuss

Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Originally Posted by azpaul Hi Gene, I have a maytag MSD2756GEW. I found the diagrams on this site, thanks! This

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 AM

azpaul is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpaul View Post
Hi Gene,

I have a maytag MSD2756GEW. I found the diagrams on this site, thanks!

This post is fantastic. Of course it is 11 pm and the refrigerator is pushing 70 degrees but the freezer is -1. So reading through your list and watching a couple youtube videos I was able to start the troubleshooting process.

I pulled the fridge awys from the wall and noticed the compressor fan is not running. I cleaned all the dust balls and such out, it was fairly bad.

Problem #1. Not sure how to check this. Is this supposed to run when the fridge runs?

Problem #2, took the back panel of the freezer off and it was completely iced up. I tested the thermostate and it had continuity when cold. I tested the heater assebly and got continuity when cold.

I then defrosted with a blow dryer and tested thermostat and got a high ohms reading over 400 I believe. Tested heater assebly and got continuity.

So, I am thinking that the deforst control board is bad or could it also be the compressor fan?

The freezer was packed pretty good with food and the vents looked like they could have been blocked.

Some of the pegs that hold the crisp draw have broken off and I do not see how to replace them, The draws sometimes put pressure on the door and does not seal properly.

So I am wondering if the totality of everything caused this issue and the fan on the compressor going bad as well?

Your thouhts please?

Thanks!!
I forgot to mention that I am having a hard time getting the cotrol shroud off. The upper left corner seems to be catching on the styro foam vent so I can not easily get to the defrost control circuit. Is there a trick to getting that off? I looks as though you pull the shroud to the front and the tabs in the back should line up with a slot and the whole assembly should drop.

Thanks.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Micami03 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your post!
I have a GE PROFILE refrigerator.. model # PFS22SBSBSS that I've had for 6 years now.
I've noticed that the temperature in the refrigerator is not cooling and when I check the freezer wall, it's covered with frost. I opened up the freezer panel and found that the evaporator coils and wiring harnesses were completely covered with ice and based on what your telling me, it sounds like a faulty defrost system.
I tried locating the "defrost timer" but when I enter my model # it doesn't show it on the diagram.
Any idea where it is or what I should do next ?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

azpaul,

The condenser fan motor should run as long as the compressor does. Based on your description this motor is bad.

If the defrost heater as well as the defrost thermostat are good, then the ADC board is the culprit.

You can find the instructions on how to replace the ADC board in one of our previous threads: defrost timer

- The condenser fan motor Part number: AP4069289

Part number: AP4069289

- The ADC board Part number: AP4070403

Part number: AP4070403

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micami03 View Post
Thanks for your post!
I have a GE PROFILE refrigerator.. model # PFS22SBSBSS that I've had for 6 years now.
I've noticed that the temperature in the refrigerator is not cooling and when I check the freezer wall, it's covered with frost. I opened up the freezer panel and found that the evaporator coils and wiring harnesses were completely covered with ice and based on what your telling me, it sounds like a faulty defrost system.
I tried locating the "defrost timer" but when I enter my model # it doesn't show it on the diagram.
Any idea where it is or what I should do next ?
The defrost cycle as well as all other functions in your refrigerator operated by the main control board on the back of the refrigerator.

You can find the troubleshooting instructions on page 3 of this thread, in the reply addressed to bohemian.

- The main control board Part number: AP4436216

Part number: AP4436216

- The defrost heater Part number: AP3775436

Part number: AP3775436

- The overtemperature thermostat Part number: AP3796802

Part number: AP3796802

- The thermistor Part number: AP3185407

Part number: AP3185407

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric PFS22SBSBSS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 PM

jshirghio is on a distinguished road
Default Whirlpool Gold, Model gb2shdxtb00

Hello, my 5 year old Whirlpool refrigerator, model number gb2shdxtb00 is having the same trouble (freezer cold, fridge not so much), and I have defrosted it manually with a hair drier, and also let it defrost overnight. It works great for a week or two, sometimes longer, defrosts properly, cycles on and off and everything. Then I see frost start to build up on the front top ledge on the door, as well as the fins inside the rear vents start to freeze over. There is also frosting/freezing on the inside back wall of the freezer compartment. Eventually it freezes to the point of the fridge not cooling off at all. The door seals look and feel fine. I guess my main question is whether this model has a system board or a defrost timer, and where should I begin to troubleshoot?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Yes, there is the control board inside the control box. Sounds like this control board is the culprit.

- The control board Part number: AP4366538

Part number: AP4366538

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Whirlpool GB2SHDXTB00 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Default Thanks Gene!

Thanks for the rapid reply. I will get busy with this and let you know how it goes. One more question, is this control board under the light fixture in the freezer compartment?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

No. It is located inside the control box in the fresh food compartment, behind the keypad.

Gene.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Micami03 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gene! Among other things, my computer decided to give me problems too so sorry about the late reply!
Based on the information I received, it looks like I'm in need of a new main control board so I'll be sure to pick one up. Just a few other things though... intermittently, my fridge is giving off a distinguishably loud humming noise and I've also noticed that my "turbo cool" feature on the inside control panel is not working. Do you know if those are things that will be resolved with a new main control board ?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshirghio View Post
Thanks for the rapid reply. I will get busy with this and let you know how it goes. One more question, is this control board under the light fixture in the freezer compartment?
Gene, a few additional questions. 1.) Can you verify that to get to the control board I have to loosen the one screw that holds the light cover on the back of the control box; do I get in that way? 2.) How common is a control board replacement in these refrigerators? 3.) What would the difference in symptoms be if the door seals were the culprit? 4.) Do I need to defrost the freezer before I replace the control board, or will the system thaw itself once the new board is operational?

Thanks for all your help.

Just got the control board in the mail yesterday (4/9/12). Before I start the replacement, can you help me with my questions above? Thanks!

Last edited by jshirghio : 04-10-2012 at 06:48 AM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.