Discuss

Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Denis, What is the temperature in the freezer? What was the ambient temperature at the time it happened? ...When I

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Denis,

What is the temperature in the freezer?

What was the ambient temperature at the time it happened?

Quote:
...When I pulled the back freezer panel off to manually deforst the clogged port I did find an amount of ice build up behind the thin metal back freezer panel...
How large it was? Where it was: on the top, in the middle or on the bottom of the evaporator coils?

Gene.
P.S. Also, one of possibilities is an intermittent problem with the evaporator fan motor.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 10-09-2011, 05:32 PM

ssbbidask is on a distinguished road

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM

ssbbidask is on a distinguished road
Default Amana Defrost Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Jim,

You may want to check the defrost heater and thermostat for continuity as described on page 3 of this thread.

Gene.
Gene,

Your post here mentions the instructions for fridges that do not have electronics; I have an Amana ABB222ZDEW bottom freezer with the fridge warming and the freezer compartment so cold it is icing inside. We seldom open the freezer as it is a second unit.

So far I've several times had to empty the unit to thaw it out when the fridge warms to near 54 degrees. In fact, I am writing this today while waiting for the unit to defrost again. Each time I have extensive icing in the freezer compartment on the ceiling and inside the upper door.

How do I check the various components for a defrost cycle failure? Do I read correctly that the timer is built into the control board?

I have searched the model number and found a diagram locating the thermistor and the evaporator heater. It also shows a thermostat without any location or number so I 'm lost where to find this part. Do I test each of the other parts to eliminate them to see if the timer control board is the issue? I am not certain what order to test and where all the relavant parts are located for this model. After several times it seems pretty certain the defrost cycle is my problem.

Tom H
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Tom,

You can check for continuity the defrost heater (#15 on the diagram) and the defrost heater which is located on top of the evaporator, but most likely the problem is a bad control board (#5 on the diagram) which controls defrost cycle among other functions.

- The control board Part number: AP4366538

Part number: AP4366538

- The defrost thermostat Part number: AP4009073

Part number: AP4009073

- The defrost heater Part number: AP4076588

Part number: AP4076588

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for AMANA ABB222ZDEW REF - BOTTOM MOUNTS | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com

Last edited by Gene : 10-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Helitins is on a distinguished road
Default Kenmore 795.78556800

My refrigerator stopped cooling, but the freezer works. The evaporator fan is not running. The coils do not look overly frozen. I am currently defrosting the unit. Any thoughts

Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Check for 12-15 VDC to the evaporator fan motor. If the reading is correct, replace the motor.

- The evaporator fan motor Part number: AP4502449

Part number: AP4502449

Gene.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 PM

blownfuse is on a distinguished road

I have a Kitchen Aid KBRS36FKX00 that is about ten years old.
When the fridge was under warranty, the evaporator motor and
part of the wiring harness was changed as a known problem.

I am now having the same problem, the unit runs constantly and the
freezer works fine but the refrigerator section temperature has been rising.
I found on this forum a post by Gene where he had a link to a service manual for a side by side model. I was wondering if the procedures are the same for the bottom freezer units.

Read more: Refrigerator not cooling properly
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com
Old 10-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

The first thing I would do is remove the top grille and clean the condenser coils (#16 on the diagram). Make sure the fan next to the compressor is running.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KBRS36FKX00 BUILT-IN REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks Gene, I will give that a try.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Gene,

I cleaned the coils. Now the refrigerator does not cool at all. I replaced the evaporator fan as it flunked the diagnostic test.

Now the compressor flunks the test as well as the defroster heater and bimetal.

I was wondering if you had a service manual for this model, I am using one for a side by side now.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.