Discuss

Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Hello Gene , I ran into the same problem with my Kenmore S/S fridge , freezer and ice maker are

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 PM

tomasz is on a distinguished road
Default Air dumper faulty?

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Hello Gene , I ran into the same problem with my Kenmore S/S fridge , freezer and ice maker are cold but F/F compartment is warm .
,after further investigation I found that the air dumper stays closed all the time , so I unplugged the fridge from the wall then I plugged it back in , at that point air dumper opened for about 5 seconds then it closed right back even though the fridge was warm . As a temporary measure I unplugged the unit from the wall , then plugged it back in at that moment air dumper started oppening thats when I quickly unplugged air dumper motor cable to prevent it from fully closing .I know that this is not a permanent fix but at least for now it will keep our food cold until I figure out what is giving me a problem .
So my question is :
Is the air dumper faulty?
or Is the control board fried ?
or Is the fridge thermocouple ( thermometer ) faulty and sending wrong signal to air dumper ?
Can you help me with this one please
Thank you
I have Kenmore #106.56232400

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Perform the troubleshooting by running the Service Diagnostic mode as described in the attached Tech sheet. Post the results.

Gene.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Wiring Sheet - 2261147.pdf (677.1 KB, 44 views)

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 PM

jpr11 is on a distinguished road

Hi Gene,
I hope you can help. I'm still struggling with this issue:

Freezer is fine, refrigerator is too warm.

My first question is, does the service sheet you link to above apply to this model? GE GSS22 SGMC BS, S#: SA 232808

This unit has no display of any kind and the sheet doesn't refer to codes displayed with simple indicator lights.

This morning I removed and tested the bi-metal switch. Cooled in a cup of ice water, I had full continuity. Warmed carefully with torch and it went infinite. Re-cooled and it closed. still 27 ohms across heater.

Compressor and condenser are clean and make a smooth hum.

On restart the freezer reaches 10 degrees within 15 or 20 minutes and the fridge side will recover to around 38 within another ten minutes. I'm guessing this gives a passing grade to the evap fan.

Is there a means to initiate a defrost cycle manually with this unit?

I'm getting really fast at defrosting this sweetheart, but there's better things to be doing for sure.

Thanks for your help; special place in the promised land for folks like you!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr11 View Post
...My first question is, does the service sheet you link to above apply to this model? GE GSS22 SGMC BS, S#: SA 232808...

No, this tech sheet is for the Whirlpool refrigerator.

Regarding the defrost problem you may want to check the evaporator thermistor (on top of the evaporator). The table with thermistor values is attached to the reply. If the thermistor is good then the main control board is the culprit.

- The thermistor Part number: AP3185407

Part number: AP3185407

- The main control board Part number: AP4436216

Part number: AP4436216

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSS22SGMCBS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com
Attached Files
File Type: doc Thermistor Values.doc (42.5 KB, 8 views)

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com

Last edited by Gene : 06-17-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Thank you sir!
I am however not seeing an attachment to the reply.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Sorry. It's fixed.

Gene.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 PM

Got it.
Can this be checked at the board or do I get to do my Superman impersonation with freezer disassembly one more time? :-)
Old 06-19-2011, 09:02 PM

brgreen is on a distinguished road
Default Amana refrig part replacement question

My Amana refrig is warm, freezer is fine. Model ARB9059CS. Mfg #PARB9059CSO. The coil was completely iced over.

Checked the defrost timer per instructions in original post. Didn't hear the sizzling sound.

Can you please:

1. Let me know if I should be replacing anything besides the defrost heater and defrost thermostat (I'm not really clear on how to check continuity and would rather just replace the proper parts). I'd rather replace anything recommended as opposed to running into this problem again; and
2. Confirm the proper part numbers for the defrost heater, defrost thermostat, and any other part I need?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 PM

mikew66 is on a distinguished road

I posted this in another thread, but this thread also applies to my problem.
I am also having the same problems. I have a Kenmore 79579293900 fridge that is not even 2 years old. The freezer seems to be working fine, but the fridge is warm. Previously, I noticed that things in the fridge seemed a little warm, but later they would be cold. Now, items in the fridge are warm for the past 4 days. I took the freezer panel off and the coils only had a small amount of frost on them. I cleaned the condenser coils and that fan is working ok too.

Also, it seems like the fan in the freezer is constantly on. And when I unplug and plug it back in, it sounds like something turns on, maybe the compressor, for a few seconds and then turns off and does not come back on.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 AM

dlmoorevmd is on a distinguished road

Hello, new to the forum but hope to get some help as clearly this is a huge problem for lots of people.
After cleaning bottom coils and defrosting for 12 hours, my freezer compartment continues to slowly build up frost on the back wall panel. Food has remained frozen although if left long enough, the frig compartment begins to warm up. After performing the control board troubleshooting test, the only non-normal was that the defrost thermostat is shorted. Additionally, I am unable to complete the Forced Defrost Test (control functions--compressor, defrost, evaporator fan--do not turn off).
Does this mean I need a new control board? Thanks. Debbie

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.