Discuss

GE refrigerators (GS* & PS* models), the evaporator fan motor test and replacement.

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Ok. I'll order a mainboard and we'll see how it goes. Thank you very much for the help.

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » GE refrigerators (GS* & PS* models), the evaporator fan motor test and replacement.

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 PM

gtiphil is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Ok. I'll order a mainboard and we'll see how it goes. Thank you very much for the help.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM

amathrawala is on a distinguished road
Default GE refrigerator making humming noise

Hi Lisa,

I have the same issue. did you ever get an answer to your question ? I would be very interested. It looks like my evaporator fan is making the humming noise.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by amathrawala View Post
...It looks like my evaporator fan is making the humming noise...
What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 01-27-2013, 06:58 PM

freddyrick is on a distinguished road
Default Evaporator fan voltage tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Gene.
Hello Gene, I have a GE gsh25sgpass. Evaporator fan motor works intermittently, currently not running. Voltages measure as follows: RW 13.6, YW 13.6, BlueW 4.6 volts DC. Is this a multispeed motor, and what does BlueW run, and is 4.6 OK?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Hello,

The following article on our forum will explain in detail how this fan motor works and what to do to fix it - Replacing GE refrigerator evaporator motors and motherboards

There are two different kind of motors used by GE. You have to determine by yourself which one is used for your fridge before you will order it.

- The evaporator fan motor with a thermistor wired into the connecting harness Part number: WR60X10074

Part number: WR60X10074

- The evaporator fan motor without the thermistor Part number: WR60X10185

Part number: WR60X10185

- The main control board Part number: WR55X10942

Part number: WR55X10942

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for GE GSH25SGPASS Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Hello,

The following article on our forum will explain in detail how this fan motor works and what to do to fix it - Replacing GE refrigerator evaporator motors and motherboards

There are two different kind of motors used by GE. You have to determine by yourself which one is used for your fridge before you will order it.

- The evaporator fan motor with a thermistor wired into the connecting harness Part number: WR60X10074

Part number: WR60X10074

- The evaporator fan motor without the thermistor Part number: WR60X10185

Part number: WR60X10185

- The main control board Part number: WR55X10942

Part number: WR55X10942

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for GE GSH25SGPASS Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
I'll try the resistance test, but Richappy says that test doesn't help. Is the low voltage of 4.6vdc at the Blu White plug an issue, is there another way to test the motherboard?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

I understand your point. It's expensive repair but there are no any other choices. In order to fix the problem you have to replace both parts. It is pretty standard procedure in such situation. Unless GE will take of it. Try to call them.

Gene.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I understand your point. It's expensive repair but there are no any other choices. In order to fix the problem you have to replace both parts. It is pretty standard procedure in such situation. Unless GE will take of it. Try to call them.

Gene.
Now I am totally confused. Are there any specs on the voltage outputs at the plug-in to verify the motherboard? I've always tried not to throw expesive parts at a problem without verifying a fault. Although, when I cut out the motor I will test the resistance and report back to you for future reference. the motor was $30 or so. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

You can find the voltage specs on the first page of this thread in the article written by Richappy..

The blue wire is the motor RPM feedback input - no sense for voltage test.

Gene.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
You can find the voltage specs on the first page of this thread in the article written by Richappy..

The blue wire is the motor RPM feedback input - no sense for voltage test.

Gene.
OK, thanks, I read that, and I have over 13vdc at both red and yellow, so for now I am going to assume the motherboard is OK. My concern was that maybe the Blu/white needed 13vdc as well. I appreciate your help with this problem, thank you.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.