Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ladyred1101  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:44:44 AM(UTC)
ladyred1101

Groups: Registered

a few months back we had a rodent problem due to construction across the street. I put out decon; problem fixed. didnt realize the water on the floor was from the fridge. Kept thinking the kids were spilling when getting water or something. I kept mopping it up and finally worked up the nerve to go behind the fridge thinking full drip pan and found the rodents had chewed through the line. I replaced the 1/4 inch tubing from the bottom inside the fridge to the ice maker inlet on the top. but about twenty minutes later it squirted water from top and the tubing popped out. no water went into the ice maker so no ice but the water dispencer does work. please help my floor is starting to show signs of water damage.:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 8:45:15 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Pull the tube out of the back of the refrigerator where the hose goes. That tube is most likely stopped up with ice. The water valve is the most likely cause for the clogged tubing. Refrigerator Leaking Repair Guide
ladyred1101  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:11:23 AM(UTC)
ladyred1101

Yep solid inside with ice. removed ran water in it replaced it. ice tray is filling again. What caused this? I'm in texas so we've had the power go out several times during storms and then the rodents chewing through the tubing. any chance it was from that or should I expect it to keep reclogging? right at the water valve is where they had chewed through it. when I replaced the tubing yesterday there was only about an inch or two coming out from there. I didnt splice it I replaced the whole thing. How long before I know if the tubing is clogging again?
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:39:28 PM(UTC)
applianceman

There are two things that mainly cause this one the water valve will leak a small amount through the line constantly. This water is moving so slow that it will turn to ice before it gets through the tube. The ice will accumulate until the tube is stopped up.

Another thing that can cause this it if the water to the icemaker is turned off for a few days and the icemaker is not turned off. What will happen is that the icemaker will call for water and there will be still some water in the line but no pressure. So when the valve opens it lets a small amount of water to pass. The result is the same the water will move too slowly to get through the tube turning to ice and stopping up the tube.

So if the water hasn’t been off replace the water valve if the water has been off it may be fixed. If it ever does it again replace the valve.

In your case the low water pressure from the hole in the pipe could have also caused this so I would hold off on the valve unless it does it again.
ladyred1101  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:51:29 PM(UTC)
ladyred1101

you guys are awsome. Thank you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply