Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CJ07  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:56:04 AM(UTC)
CJ07

Groups: Registered

Replacing overload and relay on Monogram built-in refrig. Original relay part number is WR07X0252. GE replacement which was ordered and received today is WR7X253.

The original relay has terminals and 3 wires connected to it - the black wires (run capacitor wires) are connected to relay terminals 2 & 3 (upper terminals on the relay) - the orange wire is connected to terminal 1 (lower right).

The replacement relay has only 2 terminals - 2 & 3 on the upper portion of the relay. Terminals 1 & 4 do not exist except for small metal tabs.

My question (and dilemma) -- where does the orange wire connect on the new relay (WR7X253)?

I'd like to get this refrig back in service ASAP -- it's been out since last Friday (today is Tues) while waiting to receive parts.

Thanks for your quick reply!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CJ07  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:12:02 AM(UTC)
CJ07

Groups: Registered

After my post, I located the Technical Data Sheet for the refrig. The wiring schematic on the back of the sheet clearly shows that terminals 1 & 2 (the bottom right and top right terminals respectively of the original relay) are essentially the same terminal (they are joined inside the relay). Therefore the black wire on terminal 2 and the orange wire on terminal 1 can share the same terminal #2 (top right) on the new relay (WR7X253). All that is needed is an adapter for terminal #2 of the new relay to allow both the black and orange wires to be connected. A quick trip to Radio Shack to their electrical connectors aisle - look for item #64-3064 ("Quick-Disconnect Adapter Set" - bag of 8) for an assortment of adapters to solve the problem.

The attached picture shows the OLD relay (dark brown in color - the new relay is black in color) with the 3 terminals (terminals are marked top left #3, top right #2, bottom right #1, bottom left #4). Also in the picture are the 3 different types of connectors from Radio Shack that come in the package. I used the one just to the right of the relay for a perfect fit (no splicing of wires necessary when using one of these adapters).

Hope this helps the next person facing this issue. It would be nice if GE included the necessary electrical adapter for their genuine replacement part, or at least an instruction that took the mystery out what to do with the 3 wires connected to the old relay when the new relay has only 2 terminals.
CJ07 attached the following image(s):
GE Refrig Relay - 2.jpg
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply