Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottinaz  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2012 12:07:07 PM(UTC)
scottinaz

Groups: Registered

Dad’s Refrigerator stopped cooling properly a few days ago, he woke to find puddle of water from melted ice cubes, and no air blowing inside his fridge.
I went over to check it out, the compressor and compressor fan was running. The Freezer coils were cold, but the freezer fan was not running, no air was blowing to top of freezer, or to the fridge side. I pulled the cover off the freezer coils, found that the top of coils had frost, and some frost on bottom of coils, didn’t see any frost in middle of coils. I notice the Freezer Fan was not running, I removed the fan to test it (hooked it up to ac wire to test) and fan does work. I defrosted the freezer coils (didn’t seem to be excessive amount of frost to me).
I pulled refrigerator away from wall, remove bottom kick plate, and rear cover, and cleaned the dust bunny’s off the compressor coils that are underneath the refrigerator. I found the Defrost timer behind the kick plate, I did turn the knob 1/4 turn clockwise (the power was off at this point) . We turn the power back on, the compressor & compressor fan start, and now the Freezer fan is also running. The refrigerator starts cooling again, a few hours later the freezer was 24 degrees, and the frige was in 40’s, all seems fine.
Then by the next morning it had stopped cooling again, no air was blowing from the freezer side. I told Dad to try turning Defrost timer until it clicked, he did and the compressor stopped running, I told him to try it again until it clicks, and compressor starts again, but still no air blowing from Freezer.
Any idea what problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Scott in AZ
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.