Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tlb623  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:30:05 AM(UTC)
tlb623

Groups: Registered

I took apart our refrigerator last weekend after it iced up again and both compartments weren't cold. Additionally the ice maker stopped working. I had done the same thing about a week before and thought all was fine. The ice maker didn't make ice after that and it iced up again. Read another thread on this forum and it looks like it's the defrost time is bad. Luckily it's easy to locate at the front of the fridge, under the freezer drawer.

The freezer and fridge compartments are now cold (since last Sat.) and the ice maker is working great! I'm going to order a new timer but until I get it I figure I can manually turn the knob on the timer. My question is how often does the timer go on/off? When it clicks and the freezer fan turns on is that turning on the defroster, or turning it off.

Thanks in advance, love this site and fixing things myself. Couple years ago I fixed our dishwasher for less than $15. :)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:38:46 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

When everything cuts off, that's starting the defrost cycle.
When everything cuts back on, that's the end of the defrost cycle.

Your evaporator coils frost up in normal use and every eight hours or so the entire unit shuts down and the defrost heater comes on to melt the frost. This cycle last about 20 minutes. The melted frost drips into a drain pan and through a drain tube to the drain tray under the freezer/refrigerator where it's evaporated by the condenser fan.
You can turn the defrost timer till it clicks and everything shuts down. The heater should now come on. If it does, replace the timer. If it doesn't, check the heater and defrost thermostat. Turn the timer again till everything starts back up to end the defrost cycle.
tlb623  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:10:49 PM(UTC)
tlb623

Groups: Registered

Cool! That's exactly what I needed to know! :) So until I get the new timer installed I will turn the knob every 8 hours or so. It is defrosting, so the defroster itself is doing it's job.

Thanks for the quick response. ;)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply