Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rattus  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2012 5:15:26 PM(UTC)
rattus

Groups: Registered

Hi - I have an issue with the defrost cycle on my Kenmore fridge; it wont operate the defrost cycle. I replaced the defrost timer with an "official" Fridgidaire replacement timer, replaced the defrost thermostat with the proper OEM part, and the heater element meters out to around 32 ohms or so. Still no defrost cycle. I'm getting tired of going the hairdryer route every 2 weeks...

Any thoughts as to what I may have overlooked?

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2012 7:18:30 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Mike,

What is the part number of the "official" Frigidaire replacement timer you installed?

Gene.
rattus  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2012 8:17:47 PM(UTC)
rattus

Hello Gene, it wasn't the original AP2111929; I couldn't find anyone that had that one in stock. I purchased it from our local appliance outlet. To the best of my recollection, it was a "universal" replacement timer which listed the AP2111929 as an authorized replacement.

As it's in my mother-in-law's apartment and after 10:00 PM, I'll get the part number in the AM and post it here.

Are there known problems with some of the replacement timers? Somehow I'm thinking it may have been a Westinghouse part, but the terminal block was set up correctly.

Thanks,

Mike
rattus  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 9:37:15 AM(UTC)
rattus

Aha - it seems I was a victim of infant mortality on the no-name "universal" defrost timer (no brand; black base, clear top) that worked the one time I tested it upon install, and then ceased to time, so it was stuck in a permanent "no heat" mode. I forced it into defrost mode, and the heater element warmed right up.

And ordered an "official" replacement immediately afterward. There's a lesson here somewhere.

Mike
Gene  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:02:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Mike,

Such universal parts should work too if it was properly installed. It can be a different connection to the timer motor. Keep us posted.

Gene.
rattus  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 4:06:40 PM(UTC)
rattus

That's the thing - there was only 1 way the connector could be installed (that the connection numbers were the same), and the when the timer was rotated to the "click" the NC refrigeration function turned off and the NO heater function turned on. Past the next click the functions reversed.

As an EE, I've seen my share of (semiconductor) infant mortality. This was my first IM experience with a mechanical part.

The only thing that didn't work was the timer part, which is pretty much the point of it all ;-)

I'll post when I get the "official" part, which is oddly manufactured by Westinghouse.

Mike
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply