Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kelhami  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:45:22 AM(UTC)
kelhami

Groups: Registered

A friend gave me her used KitchenAid side by side fridge... It was incredibly filthy, so I had to leave it in our drive way and clean it out with a hose and a lotta bleach over the course of a week. After the main cleaning, I decided to plug it in before I dragged it into my house to make sure it still worked. I left it outdoors (it was very cold) overnight, plugged in, to see if it would cool. The next afternoon, I went to check on it and it appeared that the icemaker had caught fire at the front, and had melted the front dial and left burn marks on the top of the freezer.

Well, I removed the icemaker, and am still struggling to get rid of the horrible burnt plastic smell. I need some advice...

1. Any tips on how to get rid of this smell? Do you think the residual smell is dangerous/carcinogenic in any way?

2. Is this typical of this model? She mentioned (after the fact) that she had had some trouble with the icemaker before and said the icemaker wasn't even connected, so why would it have caught fire? But she didn't give me any details. Kinda messed up she didnt warn me, but never look a gift horse in the mouth, right? LOL.

3. Can the fridge work without an icemaker even installed? Is there anything I need to do with the wires, etc to allow it to function without it?

4. Is reinstalling a new icemaker easy to do myself? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Here's the diagram for the icemaker: Icemaker replacement parts for Whirlpool KSRD22FKST17 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.