Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sharon-in-ferndale  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:40:33 PM(UTC)
sharon-in-ferndale

Groups: Registered

This is the most basic refrigerator Costco sells, made by Whirlpool for the Kirkland brand. Just a freezer on top and fridge on the bottom. No ice maker, water dispensers, etc.

The refrigerator is not turning off automatically. The freezer and refrigerator temperatures are good. There is no ice build up. Nothing in the refrigerator is starting to freeze. There is no condensation inside. It's not noisy. It just doesn't turn off.

The temperature is set to 3/Normal. Last night I turned it down to 2 and the refrigerator immediately turned off. I turned it back to 3/Normal and it did not turn on again. However, this morning it was running again and it has not turned off all day.

The refrigerator is not boxed in by other appliances or cabinets so it has plenty of air circulation room. I read something about cleaning the condenser coils, but I can't move the refrigerator myself and I believe they are on the very back.

In my past experience, a refrigerator keeps running because the thermostat has failed, or the coolant isn't circulating, and you end up with everything frozen in the refrigerator. Would dusty coils make it keep running without over cooling the refrigerator to the point that it is noticeably too cold in the refrigerator?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Drags1998  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:57:13 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

What is the EXACT temp in both compartments? Does the light go out when the door is closed?
sharon-in-ferndale  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:23:56 PM(UTC)
sharon-in-ferndale

The refrigerator temperature is 35 and the freezer temperature is 0. I can't vouch for the absolute accuracy of the refrigerator thermometer, but that is what is is advertised as. The one I put in the freezer is a very accurate minimum/maximum thermometer that registers down to -20, and I think it is quite accurate.

I checked for "air flow" at the vents in the refrigerator...although I'm not exactly sure where they all are. There is one thing in the center rear of the refrigerator "ceiling", and cold air is coming through there. But I just noticed a vent hole on the right and left of that vent, and no air is coming through there. But I think maybe that is where the air for the freezer fan is coming from? I've got plenty of cold air coming out of the freezer fan.

I wasn't sure if that was a serious question, "does the light turn off when you close the door?" But, yes it does. First I just tested the light switch, but then was able to confirm that I can see the light come on and go off if I peek through the crack of the door when I barely open and close it.
Drags1998  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:07:45 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

Yes, the light question was for real!!!! That light bulb will add enough heat to the refer section so that it won't shut off!!! 35 degrees is a little to cold!!!! Turn the control back to 1 1/2- 2 and DON'T touch it for 24Hrs. Does it shut off now? and whats the temp after the 24Hrs???:)
sharon-in-ferndale  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:04:00 AM(UTC)
sharon-in-ferndale

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've had the refrigerator turned down to 2 (from 3) for several days now. The refrigerator seems to have settled at a temperature of 40. I verified, a while back, that the refrigerator thermometer is accurate. I have not rechecked the temperature in the freezer, as it is awkward to position my large minimum/maximum thermometer in there, but my carton of ice cream is not noticeably softer.

The refrigerator HAS turned off a couple of times. I have no idea how long it stayed off...usually it is off when I get up in the morning, but once it was when I came home in the afternoon. Most times, it starts running shortly after I open the door.

I would stop worrying about this, except that I have discovered that there are soft ice crystals forming on the bottom half of the freezer compartment's rear wall. I can't SEE them, I just felt them when I checked to ensure that something hadn't obstructed the vents along the bottom. I don't see ice anywhere else, though.

I don't know how often this unit self-defrosts. I'm thinking of cleaning out the refrigerator and freezer compartment, and trying to remove the frost manually, and then see if the whole thing starts working "normally".
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply