Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DIYRob  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 7:54:24 AM(UTC)
DIYRob

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore Coldspot Freezer-over-refrigerator model 10664252401 mfg date 06-2005, Serial ES2525227. It is cooling well until it frosts up behind the freezer back panel. The evaporator fan and condenser fan both run, as does the compressor.

I believe this unit uses an adaptive defrost control module located in the control housing at the top of the refrigerator. If not, I cannot find a motorized timer anywhere.

Is there a way to manually cause the defroster to cycle on for testing? I read something about rapidly closing and opening the door switch, but I do not have the tech sheet for this unit so I don't know if that is correct. Would this be the freezer door or the refrigerator door?

Is there any way to test the module? There are 6 wires connected to this little circuit board (INVENSyS APPLIANCE CONTROLS 2003 #ADC2000).

Thanks for any input. I stayed home from work to fix this today, so a quick response would be very much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 8:47:52 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

You can check the defrost thermostat and heater and if they are OK the control will be the problem.How to test-Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com

I don't know how to force a defrost. But if you know the maker of your kenmore this may help.

The adaptive defrost board on Maytag fridges - To put this board into defrost, short "L1" and "Test" with a small screwdriver and wait three seconds. You should hear a clicking noise from the relay and the fridge will shut off and go through a defrost cycle.
Ge- you can force defrost with a jumper from J11 to J9, then monitor current. Assuming fridge is freezing , this should supply current to defrost coils. If not working, you have a bad heater or defrost thermostat. If this works, you have a bad mother boar
The adaptive defrost on Amana fridges is a little different. A test procedure for this board is shown here. To initiate the defrost cycle, press refrigerator light switch five times in six seconds. If you press it five more times within six seconds, this will cancel defrost and take the fridge straight into run mode. The operation is similar on both the bottom mount and side-by-side fridges. After the defrost terminator/thermostat opens, there will be a six minute delay before the compressor and condenser fan motor start running again, and a 10 minutes delay before the evaporator fan motor starts running. This is important to know because you can really start chasing your tail when things don’t start running when you think they should.
Whirlpool also has some adaptive defrost boards out there. I don’t need to post the diagnostic info on them here because it’s all in the mini-manual that comes with your fridge, usually folded up into a little itty-bitty square and tucked into a slot on the backside of the condenser grill, in front of the fridge.
DIYRob  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 10:18:07 AM(UTC)
DIYRob

Thanks for the response, woodchuckie.

Perhaps you can tell me whether the Defrost Thermostat's job in an Adaptive Defrost Control model is to INITIATE the defrost cycle as well as TERMINATE the cycle? If it only terminates the cycle (once the DT opens, indicating the temp at the thermostat is above freezing), then it is not my primary concern as my issue is a lack of defrosting.

The maker is "Sears Kenmore". I suppose the actual manufacturer could vary, knowing the Sears business model.

I have verified that the heater rod has resistance (about 35 ohm), but from what I've read the defrost thermostat reads 'closed' only at freezing temp and I've already defrosted the unit. I guess I'll put it back into service and wait for another frost-up to check the Defrost Thermostat reading when frozen.

My control module has six connections labeled P1 to P6. I can guess from wire colors that P5 / P6 power the heating elements, and P2 / P5 seems to lead to the Defrost Thermostat.

If the Defrost Thermostat must close to INITIATE a defrost cycle, I could jump P2/P5 to start that cycle.

Rob
woodchuckie  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 12:55:22 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

The defrost thermostat only allows the heater to come on by being closed in cold temps. It prevents the heater from overheating the freezer by cutting the heater off when it reaches freezing. This function is the same with a timer or adaptive control.

You can bypass the thermostat to see if the heater works.
msanchuk  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:43:13 PM(UTC)
msanchuk

please tell me the manual override to initiate adaptive defrost for whirlpool....for some strange reason, mine does not have the lil manualin the condenser grill
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply