Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
reynolds1  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:07:26 PM(UTC)
reynolds1

Groups: Registered

I have a 4yr old side by side Whirlpool Ref/freezer. Approx 2 months ago, I noticed water on the floor, tracking it back to a frozen defrost drain. I chipped away the ice and poured hot water down the drain until it was free flowing.

Tonight, I had the same problem, 15min later, freeing up the clog.

There are several icing over issues on this forum, most of them relating to a clogged drain. My question is, what causes this?

Is my freezer set too cold? Do I have too much crap in the freezer? Do I have too much crap in my refrigerator? Are they any vents that are blocked in the refrigerator that affect the freezer? Any assistance would help, I went 4 years without a problem, now twice in 2-3 months.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 1:06:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I would recommend to remove the back cover and check the other end of the drain hose. Most likely it's clogged.

Also it's a good time to vacuum the back compartment and the condenser coil.

Do not chip off any icicles - you can damage a part or a surface. Use a hair dryer to melt it.

Good luck.
Gene.
Ken T  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 7:59:46 AM(UTC)
Ken T

Groups: Registered

I have a SubZero 550 top refrigerator, bottom freezer. The condensation drain hose builds up ice even after I defrost thoroughly, use a hair dryer and confirm its clear by seeing water go down it. Within a week it's iced up and the floor of the refrigerator begins to build up ice, freezing vegetables and causing uneven temperatures in the refrigerator. Also, ice then begins to build up on the freezer drawer slides below.

I have not cleaned the condensor. Any other possible causes?
kawfeeman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 11:35:14 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

may need add condensate drain heater ( let me know if you need the part #, it can be acquired from SZ ) ... there is also a heater kit for the floor of the refrigerator if the icing problem becomes a problem after the condensate drain heater is installed...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply