Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Karen S  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:29:48 PM(UTC)
Karen S

Groups: Registered

I am wondering if you would find it normal for a defrost timer to break twice in 6 months?

We purchased our fridge in 2005 and had the defrost timer go just over 2 years later. We didn`t take an extended warranty because our salesperson was confident that we wouldn`t have any problems with this GREAT product. Well, the $30 part ended up totalling $180 after service call, time and taxes were added in. I was annoyed to say the least. But not nearly as annoyed when the same problem reoccured again this week, less than 6 months later. After calling Sears, we were told that we will have to pay the service call ($70) regardless of the fact that the part is guaranteed 1 year!

I am wondering if this is acceptable. The fridge is not even 3 years old and we have had the same problem twice. Do you have any suggestions or advice? Would it be easy for us just to replace the part ourselves?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2008 7:32:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Karen,

What exactly is wrong with your fridge?

Did you see a frost built up on the back panel in the freezer?

Gene.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 12:34:46 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If your defrost timer is bad, I would replace it with a wr9x330ds timer, a much more reliable unit with similar defrost periods. It is located inside the control panel. Be aware, this timer has a much more robust synchronous motor that makes a humming noise that might be magnified by the control panel housing. You will need to bend the terminals to plug it in.This timer has a pre-wired motor,but verify the motor runs when you plug it in. Or you can use a fully adjustable electronic timer Edt10. You will need to adjust it to your old timer specs. probably around 21 minutes defrost, 6 hours on. The cost is around $40
Karen S  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 5:12:19 AM(UTC)
Karen S

Thanks for the replies.

Gene: The fridge does not cool and there is frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer. The fan has been running non-stop. Good thing I live in Canada and we have been having extreme cold conditions so I have been using my garage as a makeshift fridge!!LOL!! Sears tells me they can send a repair guy next Tuesday..... :(

Richappy: Thanks for the advice, I have NO experience in this area so would look for someone who does. Are the parts you mentioned made by Whirlpool? Could I request that they be installed vs the original model?

Thanks again for your help!

Karen
richappy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:08:54 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The wr9x330ds timer is made for GE refrigerators, but it is a universal type that I use on most brands as long as it will fit in the space and perform the same. This timer is very reliable. In my opinion, your original timer is not as reliable as proven by service data that I keep.
For exact performance per the old original timer, you can go with the electronic one, but in that case, I would put a 1000 joule surge protector on the wall outlet for the fridge.
Karen S  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2008 5:12:36 AM(UTC)
Karen S

Thanks again for your response richappy.

Good to know the details on the defrost timer. When the service guy comes on Tuesday I will inquire if he can install a different model. I spoke to a person at Whirlpool about this issue but, as usual, the buck is passed to Sears as they have a binding contract that when their product is sold by Sears all complaints and repairs must go through them. I guess that the next step is to send a letter directly to Whirlpool to voice my complaint. Oddly enough, a neighbor up the street just had their KithenAid oven malfunction (also 2.5 years old).... right in time for the holidays! Doesn`t give me much hope for wanting to buy their products in the future.

I`ll keep you posted as to what happens.

Karen
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply