Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kevin Cook  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:54:31 PM(UTC)
Kevin Cook

Groups: Registered

I have an Amana refrig. that is not cooling at all. Freeze fan is working, Defrost heater is not on, Cooling control at max. Overload on motor OK. I keep hearing the PTC relay clicking on and off at random, so I think it is OK??, Compressor top is warm, but tubes out of compressor are not hot or cold. How can I tell if it is the compressor motor, or PTC relay? :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:17:21 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

If the compressor is running, check in the freezer behind the cover on the back wall. observe the frost pattern on the evaporator coils. Light frost everywhere(NORMAL) or a partial pattern of ice(LOW ON FREON) or nothing(LOW FREON OR COMPRESSOR PROBLEM).
richappy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:08:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If the ptc relay clicks often, the compressor is NOT running. If it is, you should feal it humming. Order a new ptc relay AP4000197 and make sure you wire in the run capacitor.
Kevin Cook  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:33:25 AM(UTC)
Kevin Cook

Woodchuckie,
no cooling is happening at all. Checked the condensor coil in back and the heater is not on.

Richappy,
I leaning towards PTC relay, beacause I notice when it clicks that it sounds like the compressor turns on, but it just won't stay on, and after less than a minute it clicks again. I put my hand on it, but it is really hard to tell if it is running or not. Suprisingly very quite, and doesn't have a large hum. I montiored the voltage to ground on the overload going to the compressor and it jumps from 110 up to 120+ when PTC clicks, and I notice lights in refrig. get slightly brighter. What are the chances that the run capacitor would go bad too?? I checked with old digital meter and showed continuity.

Are the parts sold by Maytag distributors?? Seems like it is listed as Maytag now and not Amana.
Thanks.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 11:46:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

Very rare these oil filled run capacitors fail. Sounds like the compressor ptc relay is fine, compressor probably has a burnt start winding or varnish buildup. You can order the ptc relay, it might just work, but I doubt it.
Kevin Cook  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:36:49 PM(UTC)
Kevin Cook

So, If you think the PTC relay is OK, and windings are burnt, then you are suggesting that the compressor be replaced? I guess the cost for a new compressor and a technician to replace it (since I have No konwledge of installing compressor, and charging the system) versus the cost of a newer refrigerator, is not worth keeping and reparing. Thanks for the help.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 1:57:58 AM(UTC)
richappy

From the symtoms, I figure a 20% chance a new ptc relay will fix it. A $400-$600 bill to replace compressor, fridg probably not worth that.
Kevin Cook  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 2:30:34 AM(UTC)
Kevin Cook

Richappy,
Thank you so much for your time and assistance in this troubleshooting exercise. I'm searching for a new Refrigerator. With your many experiences in service, do you have any recommendations on what brand might have the best quality track record and which ones to avoid? Thank you.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 3:20:17 AM(UTC)
richappy

I service GE refrigerators at Penn. State U and find them ok, but do not recomend the side by sides, poor data.
If I where to buy one I would buy a Whirlpool refrigerator at Lowes or best buy, definitely not Sears.
Kevin Cook  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 6:44:14 PM(UTC)
Kevin Cook

What are your thoughts on Samsung? Been reading acouple of years ago that they had some problems, but have been solved. Lowes and Best Buy recommend them? Thank you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply